• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: 1882CC, 1883CC, and 1884CC dollars- are they headed for a drop?

1882CC/1883CC/1884CC dollars- buy, sell, or hold?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. 1882CC/1883CC/1884CC dollars- buy, sell, or hold?

9 posts in this topic

I've been seeing them advertised for well over $150- at least- in Mint State. Not very long ago, they were below $100 in the same grade. Are the prices unjustified by collector demand? Has "hype" driven up prices? If you owned these coins, would you sell them?

I used to follow pricing of these coins in MS 65 & MS 66, as I had two of them in the former & one in the latter grade. I bought them at the GSA sale back in 1980.

I sold the 65s in April of '04 for $300 each, which I thought was an obscene amount of money for these almost common-as-dirt coins. They were nice for the grade, but not upgrade candidates.

These coins are popular, not scarce. Many people like them because they are the cheapest CC coins you can find in Unc. Because they get cut some slack re bag / contact marks, most of them aren't especially pleasing to the eye.

The only reason I kept my 1884 CC in PC 6 is because it's an attractive coin and I need it for my type set. Personally, despite what I posted above, the premium for these coins in all grades of Unc. makes no sense to me. Just look at the pop reports; there are thousands of each date in 5.

Even three years ago, I thought these coins were overhyped and overpriced.

Although a market is "supply and demand", advertising and promotions can have a lot to do with "demand". These coins, like the 1909-S VDB, are easy targets for promoters, so demand will likely remain strong overall, though eddies and currents in the stream of demand may vary in the short term.

I'll guess the prices will continue to rise steadily.

James

I bought a very PQ 1884 CC PCGS 65 for $350 a year ago. Now, 65's are selling for $550. Sure, there were just a little over a million coins minted but they have an 85% survival rate in mint state. So, I agree with the above statement that marketing and hype is what is driving the prices up and I don't believe that this inflation shall be sustained indefinitely. Still, I love my 84CC and have in as a Morgan type coin for my collection.

Still, I love my 84CC and have in as a Morgan type coin for my collection.

And ain't da what it's all about EZ_E!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

1909-s-vdb cents and 1884-cc morgans for exam0ple are extremely popular coins and many are just buying multiples and the prices will rise as they are popular and wanted and again many will just keep buying multiple examples and put them away

I put my money where my opinion is: Sold 80, 81, 82, 83 CC's in MS 65-66 PCGS holders. I've kept my duplicate 81, 82, 83 CC's in PL and DMPL MS64

because they're in the old GSA holders and I didn't pay much a long while back.

Still, I love my 84CC and have in as a Morgan type coin for my collection.

And ain't da what it's all about EZ_E!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Yes Sir!!! headbang.gif