• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the "next" 1964 Morgan?

2 posts in this topic

The discovery that dies were created for a 1964 Morgan certainly took this hobby by surprise.

What other coins (or in fairness exonumia can be included) might be out there that could one day come forward that took as by surprise.

I had never, ever head anything about a 1964 Morgan but I guess it was casually suggested and that was thought to be the extent of it which we now know was not true.

I've heard before that some 1970 CLAD Peace Dollars were struck but never really gotten much information about that.

As I've discussed before there are many who believe that there were coins struck in late 1869 at the Carson City Mint.

Some examples.

Exonumia, by definition, is non-official and will thus not take anyone by surprise as much as an official release. It just isn't important enough.

I've never heard of 1970 Peace dollars... could you provide a link or reference to any information on these?

The opening and history of the Carson Mint is well documented in Burdette's book and many others, I've never heard of any 1869 legends either... again, could you provide documentation or links to these apparently apocryphal legends?

The thing with the 1964 Peace and Morgan dollars was that there were rumours (which have been documented and relayed through numismatic history) that both of these coins were contemplated and/or struck (the Morgan was contemplated, per Burdette, and the Peace was struck). However, there was little-to-no physical evidence of their existence until now - and that is why these recent discoveries were such a big deal. They effectively proved what was, until now, only hearsay and theory.