• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 o morgan rotated die error???

13 posts in this topic

Rotated dies seldom bring much of a premium.

Craigslist is not well respected for coin listings. Probably better if you post the coin here where members can examine it directly.

HELP! 1883 o morgan dollar rotated die error.... -

please see my coin under humboldt ca craigslist collectibles and see if i can be helped or any advice?????

tanx so much for any reply.

01717_bbB1kGPWlSf_300x300.jpg

00b0b_82JbAqRhfdz_300x300.jpg

Rotated dies seldom bring much of a premium.

You are grossly mistaken.

Significantly rotated dies on Morgan and Peace Dollars almost always bring premiums.

Here is an 1883-O rotated dies in AU-50 (details and cleaned) which sold recently on eBay for $64, about three times as much as an ordinary 1883-O in that same condition would go for (and this one only has a 45-degree CCW rotation - more rotation would be worth more):

1883 O $1 Silver Morgan Dollar ERROR coin Rotated Die ANACS AU 50 [Details, Cleaned]

Here is a common 1923 Peace Dollar in AU (normally worth about $18) that sold for $177 with a 60-degree CW rotation:

1923 Peace Silver Dollar <> Rotated Reverse

Other series can have fairly large premiums as well (more so on modern issues).

Here is an ordinary 2000-P Sacagawea dollar that would normally be worth just $1, but sold for $150 due to the 45-dgree CCW rotation:

2000-P Sacagawea 45 Degree Rotated Reverse PCGS MS-66

A rare 1989-D Congress commemorative silver dollar with 180-degree (medal-turn) alignment is easily worth $2,000 compared to a normal one worth $20.

This error is also mentioned (but not priced) in the Red Book guide.

Those are just a few examples.

I think rotation is really only recognized when it hits 15 degrees. Than they CAN be collectible and start bring a little more than regular prices. The more extreme the rotation, the more they can bring a premium.

I think rotation is really only recognized when it hits 15 degrees. Than they CAN be collectible and start bring a little more than regular prices. The more extreme the rotation, the more they can bring a premium.

Correct. 45° is where the premiums generally start and at 90°-180° they can get stupid

Your coin would not qualify for a "rotated dies" label at NGC. The obverse is very slightly rotated in the holder (second 8 is in center). That would reduce the rotation a small amount. I think you are under the 15 degree minimum needed for the designation. Just my opinion..

"Rotated dies seldom bring much of a premium."

There are rare exceptions. -- unless one is making fakes in the basement or behind the restaurant in Tianjin.

Rotated dies bring a premium when I'm buying them.

I mainly collect rotated die errors, ever since I got a 1904O dollar with a 60degree rotation, I've been hooked. But it certainly has to be over 45 degrees for any kind of premium.

Every see a Lowball? (technically)

I get how hard it is for even seasoned collectors to notice rotations but come on, to never be caught down to a lowball I think is very cool :)

5xOupcCSa3tgrNTpCoRg_20160603_072339.jpg

Nk5tNaaQbSIUSfgoCjv3_20160603_072410.jpg

xOblXa3BS5mhNjgl1Mf9_20160425_182625.jpg