• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just looking through PCGS coinfacts and was shocked

22 posts in this topic

I use to own this 1955 washington quarter in a ngc ms66 holder and now its in a pcgs ms67+ holder?? its a nice ms66 I thought but there's a few hits that are hidden in the toning of this coin. Especially in the neck area on the obverse. I was just shocked to see this coin in a ms67+ holder

1955 pcgs graded

1955 pcgs ms67+

I would be hard pressed to call it a 65.

I have been disappointed with the quality of the modern coins graded MS or PR-65 for over 20 years. To please me the coin had to be graded at least 66 or 67.

I could see that coin in an MS-66 holder but no higher.

PCGS is grading the toning and ignoring the marks. That's like a steak house that puts a piece of flank steak on a sizzling platter and then tells you it's a rib eye.

"PCGS is grading the toning and ignoring the marks. That's like a steak house that puts a piece of flank steak on a sizzling platter and then tells you it's a rib eye."

Well, I'm still at the ground beef level.... ;)

I see only one serious rim ding in the neck from another coin, the rest is chatter, so colorful market grading comes into play, as a gift. Merry Christmas...or maybe Happy Hanukkah.

Since the OP held the coin and claims 66, so be it then.

The significance of the differences for most coins in two proximate MS grades (generically not just for this coin) are exaggerated anyway.

Which is reflected in the absurd price difference from $60 to $600 in those grades. :o

jom

I use to own this 1955 washington quarter in a ngc ms66 holder and now its in a pcgs ms67+ holder?? its a nice ms66 I thought but there's a few hits that are hidden in the toning of this coin. Especially in the neck area on the obverse. I was just shocked to see this coin in a ms67+ holder

1955 pcgs graded

1955 pcgs ms67+

It's very common for a coin to change between two adjacent grades over multiple submissions. Grading simply is not precise enough to always get the exact same opinion. This would be a big deal if it went from 63 or 64 to 67+.

The marks on the neck are pretty tiny and toned over, and the rest of the coin seems to be about pristine. Add the color and luster on top, and I can make the argument for MS67. I don't think its a technical 67+ however. Most of the + designations we have seen from PCGS seem to have been awarded for exceptional eye appeal rather than grade, much like the NGC star. That, of course, is not how it's supposed to be.

The significance of the differences for most coins in two proximate MS grades (generically not just for this coin) are exaggerated anyway.

The price is even more exaggerated for a 1 point or a 1 point + jump when you get passed MS-65. That's why the marks mean something. The coin was maxed out at MS-66.

could Gradeflation also be a factor? How long ago did the OP have the coin. Was it before toning became so popular? Did PCGS just wish to get a pretty coin out of an NGC holder and into theirs at any "cost" such as this complaint?

Someone else's gain...my favorite story involves a pop 1 Rosie at an unidentified service. I bought it raw out of a Wayte Raymond holder. Sent in twice and got 66 both times. Sold it for a couple of hundred. Now 68 with bands priced over 10k. And what recourse do I have?? Zero.

Someone else's gain...my favorite story involves a pop 1 Rosie at an unidentified service. I bought it raw out of a Wayte Raymond holder. Sent in twice and got 66 both times. Sold it for a couple of hundred. Now 68 with bands priced over 10k. And what recourse do I have?? Zero.

"Some pigs are more equal than other pigs."

That's the price they are asking. Will they get it? So far as I'm concerned there's not a Roosevelt Dime on the planet that's worth $5,000.

Years ago I bought a 1946 to 1964 BU silver set that was very attractive with some toners in it for $175. That's fun to own, but 4 figure prices and Roosevelt dimes don't go together in my opinion.

When you are dealer, you have many more marketing options. When you are collector a well run auction is about the best you can do.

I would agree with you vis-a-vis it being a max MS66. Nice coin for the date though. Maybe I ought to send this one in. I got it in a Mint Set last year. It's currently raw and I'd grade as a 65+.

bc1955_rWA6o3t_zpscisp5dzw.jpgbc1955_rWA6r5t_zps6yn8f3pe.jpg

Sy, that is a very nice '55 color wise. I would grade it 65-66 max from the images, but shoot you just never know these days what it will grade out at??