• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I stopped by an old coin shop yesterday...

7 posts in this topic

Not a whole lot to see there, but it was interesting. They did have some examples of their past work.

dollar.jpg

confhalf.jpg

It was cool to finally see one of these up close.

press.jpg

I'll post some more when I have more time. I heading to Florida now to see if I can find coinhead1 and unplug his computer. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I heading to Florida now to see if I can find coinhead1 and unplug his computer. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You picked the right time to come to Florida. The season has officially ended and the snowbirds are heading North. Traffic is now getting back to normal with most of the bad drivers outta here.

Chris

Here's a coin press in a Paris museum...

fbff1c95.jpg

And tools of the trade...

fbff1c78.jpg

thumbsup2.gif Do you know how old that one is?

Like I said, there wasn't much to see at the old mint. It was just one room of stuff that was donated from the Philadelphia Mint and no one that knew anything about it. All of the original equipment was sent to Philadelphia when they closed it down. There were examples of the coins struck there on display (except for the answer to this week's trivia question) and a touristy coin shop. Still, it was worth the five bucks to go see it and the jazz museum upstairs.

thumbsup2.gif Do you know how old that one is?

It's real old. How's that? It's at the musee de la monnaie in paris.