• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

best coins from each mint

3 posts in this topic

I was looking through my silver Roosevelt dimes and began to wonder for each set, such as pennies, nickels, dimes etc. which mint would you select as the best mint for each coin type and more importantly why. perhaps there is are outliers due to value or rarity like the 1916D merc or maybe strikes are significantly better at the San Francisco mint for a certain coin type. I am not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion. perhaps this is a rubbish question due to too many variables.

maybe a top-5 list from each mint

I all depends upon what you goal is. Are you looking for coins with some rarity that won't break the bank when you buy them, or are you looking for the coins that were stuck well?

I collect mostly late 18th and 19th century American coins, so I don't know everything about modern pieces. I know that the Denver Mint made a lot of lower quality coins in the 1960s. The Philadelphia Mint coins were better, but not far from perfect.

If you were doing a one a year set of Morgan dollars the San Francisco Mint dollars from 1878 to 1882 were very well made. Many New Orleans Mint dollars are not nice at all.

What are your goals?