• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Galvanoes and master dies and hubs found for 1964 Morgan and 1964 Peace Dollars

16 posts in this topic

Not unreasonable given the mass of unidentified material at the Philadelphia Mint. There are likely many more that the Mint's curator has located.

Good that JD and Dave B. were there and saw this.

Not unreasonable given the mass of unidentified material at the Philadelphia Mint. There are likely many more that the Mint's curator has located.

How quickly we forget that SaintGuru announced this many, many years ago.

"How quickly we forget that SaintGuru announced this many, many years ago"

Did not realize that....!

It was ATS, but before HighSociety types like me, you and Mark found the place lacked the proper consistency of Grey Poupon and were forced to no choice but make our feelings known and depart. You may remember that it was a series of stories about his Mint visits. One of the names above was part of that.

Can you provide a link to a reference to 1964-dated Morgan and/or Peace dollar hubs, dies and/or galvanoes?

Can you provide a link to a reference to 1964-dated Morgan and/or Peace dollar hubs, dies and/or galvanoes?

I just searched with no luck. Saw the Smithsonian thread

mark

Posting this here on behalf of my friend Bill Gibbs of Coin World:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/08/new-details-on-the-1964-morgan-dollar-and-the-1964-peace-dollar.html

See the 1964 Morgan thread for more details.

TD

Great! Do we have photos of what the design looked like? Dcarr has claimed in the past that we can't be certain if design modifications were made, but it looks like this is not the case.

It was ATS, but before HighSociety types like me, you and Mark found the place lacked the proper consistency of Grey Poupon and were forced to no choice but make our feelings known and depart. You may remember that it was a series of stories about his Mint visits. One of the names above was part of that.

Did you just bust out a Grey Poupon reference lol. Now I'm craving a Bartles & James :)

Great! Do we have photos of what the design looked like? Dcarr has claimed in the past that we can't be certain if design modifications were made, but it looks like this is not the case.

There are photos in the article. The reverse is very close to the C reverse hub design, which was used from 1879-1904. The obverse looks better than the IV obverse hub used in 1921, and more like the III obverse used late 1878-1904. The peripheral lettering doesn't look as sharp, though.

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/08/new-details-on-the-1964-morgan-dollar-and-the-1964-peace-dollar.html

TD

So far the only clear image I have seen is the 1964 Morgan obverse. Hoping that other pictures will be forthcoming soon.

TD

I'm not sure what you saying that I said, but what I said was not that. :screwy:

It was always thought that it was pretty likely the 1964 Peace Dollar was re-sculpted by Gasparro. There would have been no way to guess what the result of that re-sculpting would look like, unless an original proto showed up. Of course, now it looks like we will get to see that sculpture in the form of a galvano at least.

Did you just bust out a Grey Poupon reference lol. Now I'm craving a Bartles & James :)

lol

I keep that in the chiller on my Trophy back-up yacht that I keep in the library room, next to the Trophy Rolls Royce back up.

Of course, now it looks like we will get to see that sculpture in the form of a galvano at least.

They said they found the master hubs too, that would give us a good idea of what the final coin looked like.