• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: 1922p and 26s Peace Dollars

5 posts in this topic

I have two peace dollars in high grade that have on the reverse what looks like a spike protruding from the upper breast of the eagle upward toward the beak. I presume that this is a result of the obverse striking pressure pushing the design of the back of the neck through to the extent that it shows up as a spike? Is this a VAM or a variety of any note or interest?

Thanks and regards to all, Larry F.

Not a VAM that I know of. Could it be die breaks or gouges? Could this be clashed dies? If they both are exactly the same I would think I would go with clashed dies!

No listing for either date, but the book does state that many of the 22-P dies were used well beyond their normal service retirement and die breaks were common. Only major breaks could command a higher premium.

Chris

Thanks for the input to all. Just got a digital camera ... got some learning to do ... but will post pics as soon as I manage to get some decent ones. I am working on it. The 1926s also has some traces of cap and hair lines down in the spread of the rays. So clashing makes sense. The toning on it brings it out, but the spike is stonger on the 1922, which is a higher grade.

Larry F.