• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEGS certification number is saying invalid

15 posts in this topic

Hi. I just have been verifying all my coins online at different grading sites, all of which have come up with correct info and recent price as well. All except the one from SEGS. It's saying invalid. This coin was a gift to my son from his grandpa and I don't know where to go from here. Does this mean it's not a real graded coin?

Welcome to the forum.

I've heard of many instances in which PCGS and NGC coins didn't show up as valid, either. Usually it means that there is a database problem. I seriously doubt that it's anything to worry about.

SEGS doesn't honor its guarantee anyway and selectively edits its website when called on it (see Coin Talk), so it is nothing more than a glorified Coin World holder. In other words, it is basically raw and value isn't hurt. I also don't think anyone actively counterfeits their holders, so it is probably an error. I wouldn't worry too much.

Welcome to the forum.

I've heard of many instances in which PCGS and NGC coins didn't show up as valid, either. Usually it means that there is a database problem. I seriously doubt that it's anything to worry about.

yeah, what he said. welcome to the forums as well.

Thank you for all of your responses. I had no problems with NGC, PCGS, ICG or ANACS..just the one coin from SEGS. Had issues with ex stealing from me, and my son mostly, just trying to make sure everything is good and he didn't switch one coin for a less valuable one or a fake. Emptied out entire wheat penny folder from 1909-1958.

SEGS doesn't honor its guarantee anyway and selectively edits its website when called on it (see Coin Talk),

Can you please provide a link to this discussion?

SEGS doesn't honor its guarantee anyway and selectively edits its website when called on it (see Coin Talk),

Sure, it is at the end of this post. The thread is nuanced so you will need to read the entire thing to get a full understanding. SEGS long advertised that all SEGS coins were covered under its guarantee without qualification. More than one poster submitted coins under the guarantee. The coins were removed from the holders and downgraded; however, SEGS refused to pay out or replace the coins. It claims that its guarantee does not apply to coins encapsulated prior to 2007 (with holders that seem identical to the current generation holder posted on its website). There was no such restriction or qualification on its website. SEGS then sent a letter to at least one poster citing PCGS's retroactive amendments to its guarantee as precedent, and claiming to hide behind changes to its corporate structure (which appear to be nothing more than a corporate alter ego made in an attempt to evade creditors in my humble opinion). SEGS's response was to change its website and guarantee.

I have lost all respect for SEGS and its owners.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/segs-not-honoring-guarantee.279756/

Sure, it is at the end of this post. The thread is nuanced so you will need to read the entire thing to get a full understanding. SEGS long advertised that all SEGS coins were covered under its guarantee without qualification. More than one poster submitted coins under the guarantee. The coins were removed from the holders and downgraded; however, SEGS refused to pay out or replace the coins. It claims that its guarantee does not apply to coins encapsulated prior to 2007 (with holders that seem identical to the current generation holder posted on its website). There was no such restriction or qualification on its website. SEGS then sent a letter to at least one poster citing PCGS's retroactive amendments to its guarantee as precedent, and claiming to hide behind changes to its corporate structure (which appear to be nothing more than a corporate alter ego made in an attempt to evade creditors in my humble opinion). SEGS's response was to change its website and guarantee.

Has there been a resolution that you know of?

Has there been a resolution that you know of?

I don't know if the OP or anyone else in that thread resolved the issue. I do know at least one poster consulted with an attorney, but I doubt the individual will pursue a lawsuit because of the low value of the claim.

Legal remedies on guarantees should involve full evidence with their responses possibly forwarding the relevant information to the attorney general in their state or consumer protection. Other complaints from previous parties should be consulted.

A dealer had many Segs coins in slabs imaged here for example on the Bust coins: http://www.linumis.com/catalog.php?categoryId=010120015&itemType=uscoins