• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grade this 1913 type one buffalo nickel, mint state slabbed

19 posts in this topic

Now I'm a newb....

I say the ol' boy has lost some cheek and hair definition on the obverse and some text sharpness on the reverse. Not to mention the before mentioned spots, EF 40 if my source is to be believed?

Edit:

Here is a more appropriately sized image of the coin next to the grading standard I am using.

Buffalos_zpszmsqmsw6.jpg

Now I'm a newb....

I say the ol' boy has lost some cheek and hair definition on the obverse and some text sharpness on the reverse. Not to mention the before mentioned spots, EF 40 if my source is to be believed?

Edit:

Here is a more appropriately sized image of the coin next to the grading standard I am using.

Buffalos_zpszmsqmsw6.jpg

I see noticeable wear on the 1935, but not on the 1913.

Now I'm a newb....

Edit:

Buffalos_zpszmsqmsw6.jpg

There is a difference between a weak strike and wear. The two can be difficult to tell apart from pictures (since they both affect the high points), but the one on the left appears to be weakly struck. Buffalo nickels are notorious for this. This weak strike will affect the grade.

I'd give the OP's coin a 64.

Looks like a weak strike, looks MS63.

I'm betting it's in an AU50 or XF45 slab.

While you might be correct about the slab grade, 1) the OP did say the coin is unc. And 2) it looks like it.

The coin looks MS. I don't like the look with the spots but I tend to be tough. Normally, I'd go MS62 but I'll say MS63 on the slab.

To help with the strike vs. wear on a Buffalo: Look on the Buffalo's hip on that 1935. It clearly has a "plateau" due to wear. The 1913 doesn't seem to. The hip usually doesn't show lack of definition like the Buffalo's head will or the Indian's pony-tail so I've always looked to the hip to see if it's AU or below.

jom

One of the things that makes grading so difficult is telling the difference between weakness in the strike and wear. That is a skill that I am still working on. That said, you cannot accurately tell that difference between the two by looking at photographs. It can only be determined in the hand by a trained eye.

Gary

To all Thanks for the input.

The grade is MS66 and is graded by the guys across the street.

It is in a current eBay auction if you want to take a peek.

It is auction number 391294180580

Did this coin degrade in the holder?

Did one of the graders sneeze on this piece?

Here is some of the verbiage used to describe this piece by the seller:

This 1913 Type 1 Buffalo Nickel grades Superb Gem BU MS-66... it is graded, holdered, authenticated, and guaranteed by &&&&! A very nice coin with tons of flash and luster! There are no noted marks or hits of any kind! This coin has tons of eye appeal with great surfaces! A very beautiful coin! It is original with some light golden toning, and a strong strike. Just a high end Gem Coin in every way! This coin would make a welcome addition to a high grade set. I have included a greatly enlarged high resolution digital photo for you to evaluate for yourself.

GOOD GRIEF!!

MS66!

I need to send every coin in my collection, pocket and kid's piggy bank into get graded with that kind of windfall waiting to be given out.

Well, maybe dramatic, but I thought it up and did chuckle

Perhaps the photos throught the plastic are unkind.

You must have used some scratch X on the holder and buffed it up! I had a hunch the grade would be high. As a amateur grader, I've learned taking a second look later...

sometimes way later makes for a better evaluation. By the way, Meguiar's scratch X sold at auto stores works wonders on a slab when applied vigorously with a micro fiber cloth like AutoZones #AZC0AS. Takes out not only scratches but also haze, blotches and just about anything except cracks. On the same eBay page, there's a MS66+ bright silver 1913 type 1 that looks like it was minted today, the real McCoy.

:idea:

164493.jpg.b23e6f1dd242f7ed59722dcd8fe01afe.jpg