• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20 toners in the mail...just back from NGC (Grades posted)

10 posts in this topic

Well I just got back 20 toners from NGC......didn't get any stars though I feel at least two of the coins should have gotten the designation. The vast majority of the coins came from a 1957 Double Mint set I bought at the Lakeland Show. Two of the halves were already graded when I bought the set so I sent in the other halves and then all of the rest of the coins minus the nickels (The toning wasn't great and no FS).

I also had some decent prooofs that had some nice, but not monster toning that I threw in for good measure. I had actually submitted 21 coins, but one came back labeled PVC......judging from the degradation of the packaging...I am not suprised...but I did submit a half from the same set that graded so....I was a little dissappointed.

So here are the grades......the Proof Gods were not kind to me as I expected PR66 or Pr67 to be the norm....but my grades didn't hold up. Keep in mind that I did not pre-grade any of these coins prior to sending....if they had decent color....they were submitted. I might be a little more selective with the proofs next time laugh.gif

1957 50c MS66 (Blue and gold mint set toning......tons of luster)

1957 50c MS65 (Blue/purple mint set toning......tons of luster)

1961 50c PF65 (Hot pink obverse toning 50% coverage)

1961 50c PF64 (Obverse and Reverse pink toning with baby blue spots 100% coverage) 64....ouch

1963 50c PF65 (Solid pink toning covering 100% of Obverse and reverse)

1961 25c PF66 (Hot pink toning covering about 50% of the Obverse and reverse) Finally a 66...man!

1963 25c PF65 (light pink toning Obverse and reverse)

1957 25c MS66 (Blue and purple reverse toning, light gold obverse toning)

1957 25c MS66 (Blue and purple reverse toning, light gold obverse toning)

1957-D 25c MS66 ( touch of obverse rim toning, Reverse christmas green and red neon over 100% of surface) Very nice!!!

1957-D 25c MS67 (deep rich rainbow bands of green and red neon covering the obverse, light green and red rim toning on reverse) This coin is a monster...no star????:Q

1957 10c MS66 (Red and blue bullseye toning Obverse and reverse, 100% coverage) Not a monster, but nice

1957 10c MS66 (Red and blue bullseye toning Obverse and reverse, 100% coverage) Not a monster, a twin

1957-D 10c MS66 (Neon green and red obverse 100% coverage, nice green and red non reverse toning extending from rim to bottom of legend) close to a star...just didn't quite make it.

1957-D 10c MS67 (light green and red neon toning around obverse rim, Reverse is monster neon toned with concentric circles of green and red) Hard to improve upon....no star?????

1961 5c PF66 (Purple and neon sky blue covers 100% of Obverse and reverse)....the coin is electric!!!

1957 1c MS64BN (awesome rainbow Obverse and reverse....the grade is irrelevant on this one once you see it) One of the nicest Lincolns I have ever seen!!!

1957 1c MS66BN (Nice purple obverse and monster rainbow reverse) If the reverse and obverse from the 57's were on the same coin......I wouldn't sell it for $500!!!

1957-D 1c MS66RB (light color on the obverse, green and red neon on the reverse) quite attractive!!!

1957-D 1c MS67RB (Red and green rainbows on both obverse and reverse, 100% coverage)...and it's a 67 to boot smile.gif

Well that's all of them and believe me the descriptions do not due these coins justice.....I'll post some pictures if I get a chance...Thanks for looking!!!

Alright....using my obvious genius photographic skills......I shall post a few pictures of some of the coins.......I will be having them imaged prior to selling them...which probably won't be for a few weeks, but here goes a little of what I described :ThumbsUp;

1957cent.jpg

1957cent2.jpg

1957dquarter.jpg

1957half.jpg

1957half2.jpg

1957quarter.jpg

1957rainbow.jpg

1961nickel.jpg

1961nickelrev.jpg

1961proofqtr.jpg

1963proofhalf.jpg

bluedime.jpg

bluedime2.jpg

Well I just got back 20 toners from NGC......didn't get any stars though I feel at least two of the coins should have gotten the designation.

The biggest complaint I hear from dealers about the Star designation is that they feel it isn't given out enough during the regular grading process for non-proof coins. The coins seem to have a better chance of getting a Star if they go thru the Designation Review service.

So here are the grades......the Proof Gods were not kind to me as I expected PR66 or Pr67 to be the norm....but my grades didn't hold up.

And don't expect the grading gods to smile on you when sending in toned proofs. They (all services) appear to be harder on grades for toned proofs.

Yes I got that sense....looking over the Proof 64 and Proof 65's........they look extremely clean to be graded that low and every one of them went right from the plastic to the 2x2 flips so....I was a little blown away...but hey they weren't big dollar coins.....just kinda of pretty in my opinion 893applaud-thumb.gif

I really think that 57 Quarter in MS67 pictured should have garnered a star....the rest I can live with....but star or not.....it's a choice coin as anyone can see cloud9.gif

I bought the proof sets off Ebay. I bought the 57 mint set in person at a show.....both of the 57-d halves had the same green and red toning as seen on the quarter pictured above....and both were already graded by NGC so....for $250 I got the whole set with the two NGC coins.

I wish I could keep them all for myself as you know how I love toners but......I need a little cash for the summer so I am going to sell off most of them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I will guess that the coins you sent in did not have booming luster to go with their toned surfaces, because it is my experience that booming luster is the deciding factor for most MS coins in the star designation. Also, I think the services look at toned proof coinage and err on the side of caution in terms of what might be a light mark on the coin vs a toning streak.