• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Video- NGC Coin Order Walkthrough at the ANA

41 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed the video and Scott's answers. Both provided insight into the grading process that everyone should know. Thanks for making it happen.

+1 (thumbs u

I asked a couple questions earlier; are there different graders at the express and walkthrough level than for regular and economy submissions? Is there a list of the coins presented for grading with the results on this walkthrough video?

• Administrator
I asked a couple questions earlier; are there different graders at the express and walkthrough level than for regular and economy submissions? Is there a list of the coins presented for grading with the results on this walkthrough video?

We currently have a good system of overlap and rotation among graders of vintage US coins at NGC. The same people are working together on Economy, Early Bird, Express and Walkthrough submission tiers.

I believe all the coins submitted in the video are described on screen during the consultation with Mark.

I understand that the "Economy" graders sit in narrow chairs that are pushed real close to the desk so they can hardly move. They get only 3-day old cold cheese pizza and flat sodas for lunch.

The "Walkthrough" graders are the elite crew and have plush, wide leather seats, plenty of leg room, and individual climate control. They are served freshly prepared Maine lobster and champagne for lunch by the Corporate Chef....or so I heard -- someplace -- or was it just a dream....?

I understand that the "Economy" graders sit in narrow chairs that are pushed real close to the desk so they can hardly move. They get only 3-day old cold cheese pizza and flat sodas for lunch.

The "Walkthrough" graders are the elite crew and have plush, wide leather seats, plenty of leg room, and individual climate control. They are served freshly prepared Maine lobster and champagne for lunch by the Corporate Chef....or so I heard -- someplace -- or was it just a dream....?

Maybe you're thinking of PCGS...

No, no, Roger. The "Walkthrough" graders only get beat once a day, to remind them that the overlords are still in charge.

The "economy" folks are grading by drumbeat, like Ben Hur in the hold of the Roman ship. When a new issue comes out and all the so-called "first releases" come flooding in, the pace-keeper ups his temping to "ramming speed." Heaven help them if they fall behind. ;)

I understand that the "Economy" graders sit in narrow chairs that are pushed real close to the desk so they can hardly move. They get only 3-day old cold cheese pizza and flat sodas for lunch...

The modern bulk department is housed in a decommissioned ValuJet DC-9, where over 100 graders sit three abreast hunched over tray tables full of ASEs while a surly foreman wheels carts of monster boxes up and down the aisle.

I understand that the "Economy" graders sit in narrow chairs that are pushed real close to the desk so they can hardly move. They get only 3-day old cold cheese pizza and flat sodas for lunch...

The modern bulk department is housed in a decommissioned ValuJet DC-9, where over 100 graders sit three abreast hunched over tray tables full of ASEs while a surly foreman wheels carts of monster boxes up and down the aisle.

Can I get a second pack of peanuts? I'm really hungry...

The TPGs actually grade ASEs? I was of the impression that they just printed off, say 90% MS69 labels, and 10% MS70 labels, and just randomly inserted ASEs into holders of varying grades.

:devil:

I had always envisioned the bulk grading of modern bullion and state quarters as punishment for certain graders or a type of numismatic hazing for the new hires. This seems consistent with your account... ;)

I tried this for ordering a medium sausage pizza, but it has not arrived as yet. Maybe I did not have the correct vinyl flip....?

This guy is the best pizza dough flipper on the planet. Put him to work in the grading room!