• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANA Show Report

15 posts in this topic

Since HT went ahead and did his report I guess I can do a quick one as well. It was nice to attend one of these again. The last ANA event I was at was in Sacramento in 2011. Before that it was the crummy 2009 summer show in Los Angeles. Going back farther I attended the summer show in Denver in 1996 and Anaheim in 1995. This one was pretty good as it turned out...I was a bit worried given what happened in 2009 but this was up to par, IMO, from what I've seen before. I was only there Tuesday and Wednesday so I only have that to go by but from the people I talked to thought it was a good show.

I got to meet HT for the first time and that was fun. We had dinner with a couple of his friends as well. The best part was roaming around the floor seeing if I can find dealers I'd talked to through their websites but have never met before. David Perkins, Rich Uhrich, Brian Greer, David Kahn and David Sunshine (who was walking the floor) were great to meet...finally. These guys don't come to the Long Beach show so it was good to connect up. Also got to see the usuals such as John Agre (CRO), Phil and Ray Hinkleman (EAC) and Brian Cushing of Osborne RC....the latter and I talked hockey for 20 min as usual...Brian is a good guy!

As to the coins: I had my eye on an 1828 Large Date Bust Dime that David Perkins had in his Krik Gorman auction. I got to see this great coin finally (I had only seen the "true view"). MUCH nicer in hand...TrueViews just don't impress me much. I don't know why people swear by those. HT's photos are 100x better and more accurate for example. This coin was sold in the Benson sale at Goldbergs in 2002 or 2003 and bought by Kirk after the sale sometime...according to records.

I had also seen some Bust Quarters in the Heritage sale I was interested in. However, after viewing lots and seeing the Perkins Sale I decided to go for the Dime. HT actually won the Bust Quarter in the Heritage sale (we were at the sale together) and my little story on that (and that 64D Roosey Dime) is mentioned in HT's thread so I won't repeat it here...except that I found a number of the CAC stickered coins less that par (IMO). The two gold stickered ones were....uh....well...I'll just say "to each their own" and leave it at that. The CBQs in this sale didn't hold a candle to the ones in the Long Beach sale last September overall...there were a good number of top quality pieces in that sale (HT won his 1815 in that sale). The only real good CBQ in this sale was HT's 1820. Great coin!

The surprise for me was finding an 1811/9 at EAC. I mentioned this in HT's thread. Very pretty Benson coin (the sale I actually attended with Kirk Gorman and several others in 2002 or so) so I had to jump on that one (with HT's help...heh).

After the show I had to bid on that 1828 in the Gorman sale. It surprisingly (yes...another surpirse) didn't go for as much as I thought and I heard I won the piece by Friday night. Maybe I was wrong in my evaluation but everyone that was at Perkins' table was talking about it. I thought my "nuclear" bid was going to be a DUD. lol Not so and I got the piece 10% above the underbidder....just as in most auctions. Yay.

I also got to submit some coins to GC with Ian (I got to pay for those dimes!), meet Rich Uhrich and bought the new Bust Dime variety book and sold him my 1836 CBH at a good price.

So overall it was a great show for me and I would encourage anyone to attend next years if you can!

Now the pictures. These are not my photos. The 1811 dime photo is actually from the Goldberg "Benson" sale: PCGS VF30

10c-1811_A_zpsokhaz9sf.jpg

The 1828 I'll show the TV and the Benson Sale photo. Originally in an AU55 holder, now in an AU58+ holder:

10c-1828LgDt-A_zpss4qjxvbt.jpg

10c-1828LgDt_zps7gr0rmej.jpg

jom

Good to see the reports at PCGS forum, jom too. Looks like you enjoyed yourself which is what the hobby should be about. I'm just curious what you might attribute the strength in Bust material, including the cleaned pieces to or those that did not have the eye appeal that the market seems to want?

The 1828 I'll show the TV and the Benson Sale photo. Originally in an AU55 holder, now in an AU58+ holder:

Upon next submission will it graduate to uncirculated? hm

Nice report JOM.

Nice report JOM.

No...by that time it'll become a proof quarter. lol

Actually, the coin is an AU58. As I recall the Benson sale (which I attended a session or two) many of the coins were considered under-graded. I remember the Goldbergs were happy about this because they felt it would actually help bidding...for whatever reason. This coin is great example of what one would call an AU58, IMO. The "+" however is baloney as I don't believe for a minute any of the TPGs can be that precise...on AU or for that matter MS coins.

jom

Nice report JOM.

No...by that time it'll become a proof quarter. lol

Actually, the coin is an AU58. As I recall the Benson sale (which I attended a session or two) many of the coins were considered under-graded. I remember the Goldbergs were happy about this because they felt it would actually help bidding...for whatever reason. This coin is great example of what one would call an AU58, IMO. The "+" however is baloney as I don't believe for a minute any of the TPGs can be that precise...on AU or for that matter MS coins.

jom

What do you mean? The coin clearly grades 59.153. How can you not see that? ;)

You know...the other day I was looking up prices in the Grey Sheet. On page 4,567,333 the price listed at a grade of 59.153 is too high based on today's market. There's too big a jump, IMO, from 59.152. meh

jom

You know...the other day I was looking up prices in the Grey Sheet. On page 4,567,333 the price listed at a grade of 59.153 is too high based on today's market. There's too big a jump, IMO, from 59.152. meh

jom

If you think that jump is big, you should see the difference between 63.576+* CAC and 63.577+* CAC. You have to get the special addendum for that one, however. It's an extra $42k.