• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS at Heritage: Rare Canadian Gold and Half Dollars

2 posts in this topic

As part of my continuing retirement planning, I have also consigned all of my better-date Canadian material to Heritage for their upcoming Long Beach World Coins auction, for which bidding starts in about a week and concludes with a live auction on Sept. 13. At one time I had an extensive Canadian collection before realizing that I could not possibly hope to complete it (including all the gold, the provinces, all series, what was I thinking), which was our goal in starting out. Nonetheless, I do not regret one bit the journey, as I have met some very nice, dedicated, and passionate collectors of Canadian coins along the way, some of whom are as generous with their time and knowledge as they are about trading and sharing nice coins.

At any rate, the lesser Canadian coins are gone, so the Good Stuff is now at Heritage. The collection includes two of the rarest Canadian coins. One of the 1947 Maple Leaf half dollar, Curved Right 7 (sometimes just called Curved 7) in VF35 PCGS. A fellow Canadian collector told me a few years back "don't sell that because you'll never find another one!" The other coin is a 1913-C Canadian sovereign MS63 PCGS, of which only 3,715 pieces were struck, and this one is extremely nice for the grade.

Quite a few other coins are also offered; 1909-C, 1914-C sovereigns; an 1870-LCW Victoria half dollar AU55 PCGS with the best surfaces you will ever see (a coin I always thought had claims to Mint State); several other Vicky halves; gold decimal coinage including a 1914 10 Dollars in MS64+ PCGS, a 1912 10 Dollar in MS61 PCGS (much nicer than the grade implies); 5 Dollar gold as well; and many of the better George VI and Elizabeth II half dollars in Mint State, including two examples of the 1948 (MS63 and MS64), a 1949 Hoof, and Newfoundland half dollars (including a 1917-C MS64 PCGS) and 20 Cents.

I'd be proud for you to take a look.

Canada Rare Gold, Half Dollars, Type, Newfoundland

Kind regards,

George

TTT. Still some incredibly good bargains to be had, especially in the half dollars and that 1913-C gold sovereign. The 1913-C had a mintage of 3,715 pieces, and most of them were melted; this example in MS63 PCGS (and probably better than that) is currently at $2,200. If it were a U.S. gold coin it would be $25,000. PCGS population is 36 in MS63, three in MS63+, only 23 in MS64.

1913-C Gold Sovereign High-End MS63 PCGS

A lot of collectors are rightly interested in this Gem 1867-1967 Canada silver dollar with the Flying Goose design, which is simply the most gorgeously toned example of this issue I have seen in all my years of collecting and dealing. The Heritage image is too dark but gives some idea ... Here's the PCGS TrueView that is much more color-accurate. If you see this coin in person, you will covet it, not only for the color but the dripping cartwheel luster.

1867-1967 Canada Centennial Gorgeously Toned Silver Dollar MS65 PCGS

And here's the link to the Heritage auction lot:

1867-1967 Canada Dollar MS65 PCGS-Heritage Auction (Same Coin)

And one more. This half dollar is known as the 1947 Maple Leaf Curved Right 7 half, because there are also (much more common) 1947 Maple Leaf Curved Left 7 halves. There are also both types without the Maple Leaf, so four varieties in all. The Curved Left 7 ML half is also sometimes called the Straight 7 ML because it's a long, slow curve to the left. And people that use that alternate terminology call the Curved Right 7 ML simply, Curved 7 ML. (Stay with me here.) At any rate, the 1947 Maple Leaf Curved Right 7 half is a classic Canadian rarity. A fellow Canadian collector friend of mine once told me, "Don't ever sell that half dollar because if you do, you'll never find another one." He's right.

When India gained its independence from Great Britain in early 1948, new dies were needed that removed the ET IND IMP (and Emperor of India) from the obverse. Until those dies were received, the coinage just continued into 1948 with the 1947-dated dies, but a small Maple Leaf was added on the reverse next to the date to indicate their actual striking in 1948. Both varieties of 1947 Maple Leaf half are rare, but this one is far more elusive than its sibling. I won't say what I paid for this, but it's a heckuva lot more than the current $400 bid for this piece. The Canadian Coin News Trends prices the 1947 Curved Left 7 Maple Leaf at $2600 in VF20 and $3600 in XF.

1947 Curved Right 7 Maple Leaf Half Dollar VF35 PCGS

I hope you enjoyed this Shamelessly Promotional But Hopefully Somewhat Interesting Essay on Rare Canadian Coins. :makepoint:

Best Regards,

George