• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Silver Sets Sold Out.....

13 posts in this topic

Why do you think they will go down?

Because Greg hates moderns! 893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

Chris

893naughty-thumb.gif I don't hate moderns at all. I do question the sanity of those people who pay MASSIVE premiums for a grade difference so slight that only a tiny percentage of the numismatic community could tell the difference.

I said I think they will go down because it appears that they took a long time to sell out meaning the demand isn't there. It's also a fairly good bet that mint products will go down in value.

Why do you think they will go down?

Because Greg hates moderns! 893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

Chris

893naughty-thumb.gif I don't hate moderns at all. I do question the sanity of those people who pay MASSIVE premiums for a grade difference so slight that only a tiny percentage of the numismatic community could tell the difference.

I said I think they will go down because it appears that they took a long time to sell out meaning the demand isn't there. It's also a fairly good bet that mint products will go down in value.

Chill out, Greg, I was just having a little fun! I agree with you on the "Massive" mentality. If they were dragged into court they would probably be found incompetent to stand trial. I'd challenge anyone to eyeball an MS69 and an MS70 and tell me which is which. But who knows, maybe one day someone will develop an electron microscope the size of a pack of cigarettes.

One other point to ponder, Greg...............The Mint didn't say the 2004 Silver Proof Sets were "Sold Out", the website merely indicates "The product is no longer available" . Isn't it possible that they just pulled it from the shelf and stored it away to wait for the next price increase? If you recall, the 2001 Kennedy bags and rolls weren't re-released until after the last price increase. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll be surprised if the Mint products, particularly the proof sets, will go down in value any time soon.

Chris

I don't think that (1) the Mint sold out of the sets; or (2) that Greg was getting defensive - just pointing out a simple fact and an opinion.

I also think the Mint just discontinued the 2004 silver PF set availability. This means that the 2005 silver sets are about to come out. Given the fact that the Mint announced long ago that their production schedule was moved up this year, this does not surprise me.

Hoot

I don't think that (1) the Mint sold out of the sets; or (2) that Greg was getting defensive - just pointing out a simple fact and an opinion.

I also think the Mint just discontinued the 2004 silver PF set availability. This means that the 2005 silver sets are about to come out. Given the fact that the Mint announced long ago that their production schedule was moved up this year, this does not surprise me.

Hoot

Hoot, I've been "picking on" EZ lately (all in the spirit of good fun, of course), so it was time to direct my attention toward someone else. devil.gif I know Greg is a good guy.......and smart,too!

The 2005 Silver Proof Set is not scheduled for release until May 16, but as you said, they may elect to release it earlier. It would still seem to me that they would keep the 2004 on the shelf as long as possible unless they had an ulterior motive. What would you like to bet they are contemplating another price increase within the next 18-30 months. Then the 2004 will come out of the mothballs.

Chris

It would still seem to me that they would keep the 2004 on the shelf as long as possible unless they had an ulterior motive. What would you like to bet they are contemplating another price increase within the next 18-30 months. Then the 2004 will come out of the mothballs.

Chris

I don't need for you to be wrong, but I sure hope you're wrong! insane.gif They are already soaking the daylights out of us. tonofbricks.gif

Hoot

It would still seem to me that they would keep the 2004 on the shelf as long as possible unless they had an ulterior motive. What would you like to bet they are contemplating another price increase within the next 18-30 months. Then the 2004 will come out of the mothballs.

Chris

I don't need for you to be wrong, but I sure hope you're wrong! insane.gif They are already soaking the daylights out of us. tonofbricks.gif

Hoot

I hope I am, too!

Chris

So, that is why I saw the 2004 silver proof sets offered at double the issue price, now. I thought that it was just a wee bit odd since the week before they were at near issue price.

Man, moderns don't even have to be slabbed anymore to be gouged on the price. Ouch! I'm just glad that I got mine at regular issue price.

I still find it incredible that most all pre 1990 proofs sets are so dirt cheap in comparison to the modern issues. I guess that has to do with the popularity of the state quarter program, the modern registry sets and the vast speculation of proof sets which happened in the '60's through the '90's. I remember buying my 1975 proof set at the time of issue for like $16. Then, since the '75's is one of the lowest minted dates of the Lincoln series, it's price was $25 shortly after release. Now, these sets are but $6-8.

Just think, for 25 bucks 30 yrs ago one could have bought a sweet proof Indian cent or a proof three cent nickel, etc.

Now, one can buy a whole roll of proof '75 S Lincolns for $189 through The Coin Depot. This seems like a good deal and a great investment to me since the only lower minted cents were the '09 S, '09 S VDB; 24 D, 14 D and the '31S (if I remember correctly).

EZ, if you think the price of this set is ridiculous, you should see what the 2001S Silver Proof Sets could get you by cracking them.

Chris

EZ, if you think the price of this set is ridiculous, you should see what the 2001S Silver Proof Sets could get you by cracking them.

Chris

Yeah, I know. I bought my set a couple of years ago for $95. I thought that that was steep then...