• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Help please

12 posts in this topic

I am a newbie trying to learn and learn.

What will this coin grade to? Will it be MS63 or better with NGC?

Is it worth sending it for re-grading it to NGC? Currently, it's in a old NGC soapbox holder.

Thank you for the help!

Optimized_1925_DRev.jpg

1925_DObv.jpg

Thank you Mark.

Great, its already MS62, I am hoping to get it graded better than MS62.

Should I even try?

I have no idea based on the images provided. But you seem to want to try to get coins re-graded because they would be worth more, rather than because you have good reason to believe they deserve up-grades. And that's not a good basis for trying re-grades.

Unless you have a lot of hands-on experience with this denomination/type, the "grading game" will only cost you money. After you've examined, perhaps, 5,000 examples of Indian quarter eagles, and read all the available literature including the various grading guidebooks and auction catalogs, then you might be able to determine if the coin will "grade" higher than MS-62.

The fundamental difficulty is: "If you have to ask, you don't know enough to make a good decision."

I'm not being mean or sarcastic -- only hoping you will learn before you spend. (See your other gold coins thread, also.)

Yes sir. I don't know much! Thats why i am here seeking help. I am just undertaking the process of learning. I am new to this and I believe it takes time.

Any good literature on indian eagles? I will gladly spend time reading.

Well, i am not sure how I can get the opportunity to examine 5000 indian eagles to detail? My local coin shops dont even have them and even if they do, they are not ready to spend time with me unless I show interest to buy that day.They just keep asking when r u going to buy!

I'm suggesting you invest the time and energy to go to major coin shows and look at the coins. Heritage has a huge database of auction descriptions and photos - free. Goldberg's and Stack's likewise. Books by Akers, Fuljens and several others will help - look on line for titles and prices. Look in the ANA back issues of Numismatist or search the Newman Numismatic Portal (under construction). Wizard Coin Supply has a large, in-depth selection. The ANA also has an excellent coin grading class.

Do this for yourself so you can make the best decisions about what to buy, when to have something authenticated and graded, and when to sell.

I'm suggesting you invest the time and energy to go to major coin shows and look at the coins.

Especially shows where the large auction houses are having on site auctions or lot viewing. Do the lot viewing and you can see a LOT of better grade coins in person. (I personally do not believe you can learn the nuances of MS grading from images. You HAVE to see the coins in hand.)

Post a better image, as good as you can and there will be experts here that can just about pinpoint the grade. The "Old Soap Box Holders" were made in the days when more time was usually spent to examine coins for grading. Same applies to the to PCGS's OGH ...."Old Green Holders". Many coins in these holder have up-graded due to what some call "Gadeflation". I have a theory that with fewer coins graded then and with millions more surfacing since with more high ends example showing, the grading standards changed slightly for there are more coins for comparison. Only a theory. I have low to mid end coins in these holders and many dealers and coin aficionados think they could upgrade to the next designation. If they were high end coins I would do it. I like them as they are for the eye appeal and details!

In addition to all that has been said you have asked about grading on one of the toughest series of coins to grade. The $2.5 and $5 Indian gold coins rank pretty high in difficulty when it comes to grading.

As other have pointed out you need to LOOK at many coins (usually at auction lot viewings or coin shows) to even get a hint of how to grade these coins. Chances are pretty good you would be wasting your money on a potential re-grade.

jom

You can't really grade these coins in the Mint State grades from photographs. You can usually spot AU or EF as opposed to Mint State, but that's about it. This type is not easy to find in true MS-63 and better. There are a lot of MS-62s and 61s.