• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Francisco Mint gold bullion deposit receipt

9 posts in this topic

I think a very interesting educational display could be built around US Mint receipts of various kinds.

When deposits were not redeemed after 4 or 5 years, the money was put in the Mint's general fund and the depositor became a bookkeeping entry until a later claim was made - if ever.

I wonder how much is still in that general fund waiting for a claim to be made against it.

I think a very interesting educational display could be built around US Mint receipts of various kinds.

Yes it would if you could find them.

It drives me nuts though. One of the knocks on my exhibits is that they have too much information.

I just completed an exhibit of Lincoln campaign pieces and posthumous medals, and I know I'm going to get that feedback, but I don't care. The issues, especially during the 1860 campaign were complex, especially for Lincoln. He had five or six major issues or personal images going at once. Slavery was just one of them.

Unclaimed deposits were eventually deemed abandoned and the books cleared. I don't have a date for that, though.

That's what I figured. The government often did things like that. Like with the silver certificates, at one point they decided a certain number of them were lost/destroyed and would never be turned in for redemption. They wrote them off and released the silver backing to be used for other purposes.