• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went to the local show today!

16 posts in this topic

Hi everybody! Long time no see! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but it's taken some time to get settled in my new home. In any case, enough of the boring stuff, the important thing is that they have a little local coin show here in South Bend every month, and I went today and picked up 4 coins! headbang.gif The first one below is an 1830 Half Dollar, small 0, and I believe it's an O-117 (though feel free to correct me, since I am still getting the hang of using my Overton book). The third and fourth photos are US Philippine coinage from 1944, they are roughly XF-AU, and the 10 and 20 centavo coins were struck in Denver, while the 50 centavo was struck in San Francisco. Just a neat little intersection of numismatics and history. The guy I bought them from was selling a whole box of foreign silver coins for silver value. I have no idea how much silver these contain, but they only cost me $3, so not complaints. Enjoy!

1830p50cobv.jpg1830p50crev.jpg1944philobv.jpg1944philrev.jpg

Welcome back to the boards, Jeff!

How are you doing on your Saints? Make any tough acquisitions?

Hey Victor! I have done a little work on my Saints lately, I upgraded my 1915, and added a 1913 and a 1911-S. I also have my eye on an 08 WM, so that would likely be my last addition for a while. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Wow! I admire your determination and great numismatic attitude! That is one tough set, enough to scare off a lesser man (hmm, like myself tongue.gif).

You're a great asset to the boards so you don't go no where, now...ya hear?!

grin.gif

Hi everybody! Long time no see! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but it's taken some time to get settled in my new home.

Lots of coins will do that! laugh.gif

Now you have alot of catch up reading (on past threads) to do! cool.gif

Leo

Lots of coins will do that!

Indeed! juggle.gif

Now you have alot of catch up reading (on past threads) to do!

You can say that again! I have imposed a limit of only looking at the most recent page of topics, otherwise I would go insane! insane.gif

Wow! I thought this was a long-lost, revived post when I saw the author! wink.gif

The half looks like it might be a nice AU and, as you wrote, the other coinage was essentially free. Have you gotten farther on your Saint set since you moved?

Very pretty half, Jeff! I also have a 1944 Philippine cent that's Mint red (ex. Mr. Margulies) - I love the volcano! Great to have you online with us again! thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

• Administrator

You should toss up a post on the events board about this show so that if anyone else on the boards happens to be in the area they can enjoy it too. smile.gif

Thanks for the kind words everybody! TomB, the half ig better than AU in my opinion, but unfortunately the photos don't show it as such! And yes, I have filled some holes in my Saint set, rather recently in fact. I upgraded my 1915: My 1915 and added my 1913 ( Click here for my 1913) and my 11-S ( click here for my 11-S). Beyond that, I will soon be getting a new 08 WM. After that I'll need to catch my breath! Hoot, you are right about these Philippine coins, they have the potential of becoming quite addictive!

Well, I sent the 1830 Half to NGC and splurged for the variety plus for $7, and although the grade isn't posted, they did post the variety, and I'm sorry to say I was wrong, this was not an O-117, but according to NGC is an O-118, which is a scarcer variety. I have to look it up again in my Overton book tonight, but it seems I still need more work in identifying bust half varieties! tonofbricks.gif

Well, the grade was posted today (in near record time) and NGC graded this one MS-61 yay.gif, which is a tie for the highest graded O-118 (though there are a couple hundred or so other 1830s that are graded higher). As for the other coins submitted, they came back about what I expected. thumbsup2.gif