• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little help with a description please

10 posts in this topic

I am going to sell/auction an 1851 D gold dollar but am uncertain as to how to describe it. I have taken some pictures and hope some folks here can help me to describe it accurately. I know it is post mint damage but what/how? And as an added bonus do you think it would grade? :eek:

IMG_5460.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

Thank you in advance for your informed opinions :) I appreciate your input.

The coin appears to have EF sharpness, but there is an attempted perforation punch mark in the area of "BE" in the word "LIBERTY" on Ms. Liberty's crown.

I am not sure if there is damage above the star that is above Ms. Liberty's hair bun. It might just be a copper spot.

My net grade would VF-20 for use in setting a market value.

Thank you Bill. I do appreciate your input. It is a copper spot above the star. What was that clown thinking when he tried to poke a hole in this coin????:cry:

I would describe the coin as XF details, obverse damage. The images are very poor, for purposes of offering the coin for sale.

I would describe the coin as XF details, obverse damage. The images are very poor, for purposes of offering the coin for sale.

Yes, if you are going to try to sell this, you should take a "straight on," fully focused shot that is not at an angle. You also need to lower the saturation level in the picture. It's much too intense now.

Simply describe what you see. (I think EF is being generous as a base grade, but maybe that should be left up to potential buyers.)

Simply describe what you see. (I think EF is being generous as a base grade, but maybe that should be left up to potential buyers.)

It is a Dahlonega coin and sometimes the strikes are very different from the Philadelphia products. There is a lot of detail inside of the stars that are in focus for a sharpness grade of less than EF.

Thanks for all the comments. I can always count on straight forward answers to my questions here. I do appreciate everyone taking their time to help me. In my opinion this section is the heart and soul of the boards and you guys proved it once again. :golf clap: As to my photography skills, that is a work in progress :kidaround: