• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885 cc

6 posts in this topic

Alright guys so I bought an 1885 cc a few days ago, I figured I want to get it slabbed the question is will it grade? I found a rim nick and I'm not sure if ngc will grade it or not because of it

It seems to be on 2 sides so I believe it's on the edge also.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys :grin:

Those edge issues won't prevent the coin from getting a straight grade, but they will limit it to MS-62 or 63 at best.

As for the grade I can't grade the coin by only being about to see a small part of it. There probably is a way to see the whole coin on the site link you gave us, but I don't see how to do it.

I don't know what you paid for this coin, but my advice would be to buy a certified coin and not buy a raw piece. Many raw coins are raw for a reason. The owner(s) of this coin may not have had graded because they perceived that that it would get a low Mint State grade or thought that this coin might not grade.

The 1885-CC comes nice as a date. It is actually hard to find in circulated condition, and when you do find it, you will pay close to the Mint State price.

Thanks for the reply bill, the coin photos I submitted here were only the close ups. The guy I bought it from bought it the day before from someone who most likely held on to it for a while. My guess was ms63 from looking at it. Hope no problems arise when it gets slabbed ?

Hopefully it will straight grade around what you expected. Rim hits usually don't prevent non-problem grades. Most dealers will buy with a critical analysis and then make an offer a certain % behind GS bid.

My experience has been that rim hits like that lower the grade one or two points. What might have been an MS-64 becomes and MS-63 or 62.

The "Moderate" nick on the obverse is likely to affect the grade more so than the small nick on the reverse. If it isn't cleaned, it should straight grade...MS62?

Also, if the nicks are noticeably shiner than the rest off the coin and produce a glare, that could be a problem with the graders. I have a really nicely gold/bronze toned frosty MS65 Stone Mountain the has a small rim nick that looks like it was struck that way. I would have not noticed it if I didn't examine it with a 5X magnifier.

A rim job by NGC (Nick Grader Company) would fix the problem. Just kidding! :)