• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liberty Nickel Appreciation Thread

30 posts in this topic

Your coin looks like it has nice luster, with lots of die breaks on both obverse and reverse.

Here's an 1889 proof that has a really attractive phlegmy toning to it that, in-hand, is a mixture of pink and lime green waves going over the coin's surfaces.

778564-CopyofE1889P66a.jpg

778564-CopyofE1889P66a.jpg.6c621470e189577ac5f0e9e57b3d2a76.jpg

I had three nice Lib nickes early this year - great for color, but not necessesarily the best strikes. Anyhow, I liked them very much but sold them. frown.gif Here they are:

778730-1883NoCentsLib5cMS64NGC.jpg

778733-1911Lib5cMS64NGC.jpg

778736-1912Lib5cMS64PCGS.jpg

I have an 1883 no motto now that I bought raw at a shop in Salt Lake. I spent $26 on it, and it's beautifully toned, exquisite surfaces, and a fantastic strike. It'll grade 65 any day, perhaps better. smile.gif

Hoot

Question?

How tough to find are the 1883 No Cents in cameo proof?

Ideas on their populations?

Thanks!

Question?

How tough to find are the 1883 No Cents in cameo proof?

Ideas on their populations?

Thanks!

Well, for PCGS (all grades): 112 CAM 6 DCAM

For NGC (all grades): 110 CAM 5 UCAM

I'm sure there are some crossovers accounted for here.

studying up on the term phlegmy as part of my penitential desire to avoid punishment by Tomb, I was overjoyed and totally p.o.'d by this post. Finally a liberty nickel thread!!! OK, 2005, but it needs to be revived. Maybe this was destined by Providence??? I'm p.o'd at how quickly it ended.

By the way, I'm still at my earliest of attempts at understanding phlegmy. Meanwhile, I'll post my one and only 'certified' Liberty Nickel, and hopefully revive this thread....and hopefully it won't be considered phlegmy (I'm sorry Tom, but that is SO gross).

1515885-1888obv5b.JPG

1515890-1888rev5b.JPG

Great coins everyone. Here are three from my collection:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

One of my favorite coins, and only second to the buffalo as my favorite 5 cent type...Mike

p.s. Hoot, if that '83 is not well struck, I'd like to see one better. wink.gif

Interesting that this thread popped back up this morning. Last night, I sent off my #2 set for auction!!

Here's the link to my #1 Liberty Nickel set .

Huh .. Your No Cents looks kinda like my No Cents ... Am I making sense or is it the irrefutable bunch of NON-Cents .. smile.gif

Sweet Lib, 123cents.

I had about 20 Nickels and 10 Quarters laying loose in a breif case. Long story. screwy.gif Anyway here are three of the best. The best has rim nicks, although I love looking at the detail. All the rest of the nickels are worn, and all of the quarters are worn.

1883NoCents.jpg

1883Cents.jpg

1898LibertyNickel.jpg

The only Liberty Nickels that I own are the two different varieties in my type set.

Variety 1 NGC MS65 1883 Without Cents

1311.jpg1311R-1.jpg

Variety 2 NGC PR65 1909 With Cents

1338.jpg1338R.jpg

Some very nice looking nickels in this post.

Larry