• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grades in from NGC: Auburn, MA coin show finds (moderns)...

5 posts in this topic

At the coin show back on February (27th?) I spent about an hour looking at pages of coins at a dealer's table under a hot lamp. Well, it paid off, IMO. laugh.gif

2000-D 10c - paid 75c raw NGC MS68

Though I'm happy with the grade, I was surprised it didn't get FT'd.

1999-P 5c - paid 50c raw NGC MS65 6FS

Pretty much what I expected.

1996-D 5c - paid 75c raw NGC MS67 6FS

Like Superman and his crystal, this coin called to me. I couldn't get that 2x2 cardboard holder out of the plastic slot fast enough. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I still have more raw coins from that show that I will submit as soon as I am able. I take crappy pics and you all know what these coins look like (all white) so it wasn't worth the effort.

Overall, these are nice additions to my collection.

Were these pieces that were originally obtained from broken apart Mint Sets? I only ask because some of the earlier clad pieces are rarely known in high grade if they didn't originate from a US Mint Set. Good work on the grades, though I truly do not have an idea as to the value of each as this is not my niche.

Kudos. I always admire the collectors that search and submit. Looking at lots of coins makes your eye strong. wink.gif

Thanks Don. I agree, this is best part of coin collecting. Furthermore, I couldn't agree with you more about shapening the eye. Last year I got a Denver bag of Peace Medal nickels from the Mint. I cherry picked a dozen nickels and made a PCGS MS67 and several MS66s.

As far as grading, I go by the number of ticks/hits/bag marks I see. If a see very few, if at all, I'll pick them.

Included in my next submission to NGC, along with the rest of my Auburn coins, will be 9 Bison Denver nickels. There's one that could grade real nice. I hope.

Were these pieces that were originally obtained from broken apart Mint Sets? I only ask because some of the earlier clad pieces are rarely known in high grade if they didn't originate from a US Mint Set. Good work on the grades, though I truly do not have an idea as to the value of each as this is not my niche.

Tom, that's a good question. I didn't think to ask. I will next time. The dealer had all Jeffs from 1938- in one big coin binder/book with plastic sleeves containing plastic pages of 2x2 holders. Ditto with the Roosies.