• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally handing those presidential dollars off

2 posts in this topic

for my niece and nephew.

A few weeks ago I met my brother and his kids during their annual visit from Washington. I decided that it was finally time to give my brother the P&D Jefferson Dollars that I'd been keeping to give to my niece at some point. The coins were released from the mint within a week of her birth years ago because they're First Day of Issues.

She isn't old enough yet to have them. She's only about 9. Still. I thought I'd give them to my brother and let him decide when to let her have it. I think he'll be in a better place to decide when they're old enough to get to keep them.

My brother also had a son about 5 and a half years ago. I wasn't collecting at the time so I didn't do anything comparable for him, but I did have a couple of extra Washington dollars. I decided to give those to my brother for my nephew as he gets older. Not quite the same as with my niece but they're still nice and I hope he'll like them when he's old enough. With both of them living in Washington I doubt I'll get many opportunities to help them get the coin collecting bug but we'll see. They may find the hobby yet. I'll probably be able to do a little more in that regard to my own son.

See more journals by Revenant

Only time will tell what impact Uncle William's modest gifts to his niece and nephew will have. The smallest of seeds will often grow into the largest of plants!

Gary