• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First half eagle from the new Charlotte Mint.

12 posts in this topic

Something special for Southern Mint gold collectors.

First coins struck on March 28, 1838.

18380404%20C%20first%20HE%20received%20sm_zpsanzna5nm.jpg

Thanks for posting this Roger!

This 1838-C half eagle was among the last of its kind to be struck with the reverse die broken in two at its head. Who knows? Maybe it was being held together with bailing wire and tobacco juice?

1838-CMineO_zpsec43f85d.jpg1838-CMineR_zps79c155e8.jpg

Some have speculated that the first 1838-C half eagle was struck in December of 1837. I guess this letter puts that speculation to reast.

"Where is that coin?????"

No idea. Possibly spent by the Sec of Treasury or given to the President so he could buy a Slurpee...?

Where is that coin?????

No one saved Charlotte Mint or any other branch mint coins in those days unless something lucky happened.

Slight chance it ended up in the National Collection.....? (The Philadelphia Mint Cabinet as it was back them.)

Probably not. From what I've read Adam Eckfeld, who was forming the national collection in its early days, didn't have any interest in the branch mint coins, and according to Jeff Garrett and Ron Guth the best one in the national collection is an AU-58.

You're likely right on that. I'll check with the ghost of Wally Breen - maybe there was a secret public celebration when the first coin was struck.... ;)