• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week # 157 Brain teaser

29 posts in this topic

Upon issue, what U.S. coin design caused the general public to worry that it would spread germs and disease due to its design?

Hint: this design was used for more than one coin type

Good Luck!

Our first place winner will receive a copy of the January Census Report as well as a single-coin holder display box. A prize will be awarded to a randomly selected player.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners

Post Extras:

Its got to be the Indian Head Quarter Eagle and Half Eagle designed by Bela L. Pratt released in 1908.

The incused design was thought to harbor germs.

The Indian Head Quarter Eagle,....due to it's sunken design people feared it would clog with germs and bacteria and would thereby spread disease.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Gobrecht coronet head quarter and half eagle gold pieces.

The coin's design, with the raised relief, was criticized for retaining dirt and the passing of germs. Some went so far as to ask they be melted, but the coins remained In circulation.

http://www.nasc.net/Articles/circulating_coin_designs.htm

The Indian Head design which was stamped on to the Indian Head 2.50 dollar gold piece and 5 dollar gold piece. Normally the designs on coins are raised above the flat surfaces. The complaint was that dirt would collect in the crevices on both sides, therefore transmitting diseases and germs to anyone who handled the coin.

QUESTION:

Upon issue, what U.S. coin design caused the general public to worry that it would spread germs and disease due to its design?

ANSWER:

Indian $2 1/2 and $5 gold pieces minted from 1908-1929.

Congratulations Elbesaar!!! You had the first correct response. You will be receiving a January Census book and a display box.

Congratulations Banknote1! You are the runner up winner this week. You will be receiving a display box also.

Thanks for playing and stop back next week for another question. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Danielle, I received the POP book and the display box tonight when I got home from work ! Glad I was off last Friday so I could get my answer in early !

Elbesaar