• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unloved R-10.1 Coins

10 posts in this topic

Everybody is always on the hunt for that 1964-D or that 1841-o $5 and we all KNOW a 1870-s Quarter is hiding somewhere but what about those unloved coins? The ones that very well might exist still today but have yet to unveil themselves.

I am still super excited about the prospect of a 1873-s Seated Dollar and a 1975 (Yes 1975) Aluminum Cent.

I'd like to see a second 1870-S $3.00 gold turn up one day, and maybe a few bags of 1895-P Morgan dollars. For some reason, the possible existence of 1964-D Peace dollars has never excited me.

I'd like to see a second 1870-S $3.00 gold turn up one day, and maybe a few bags of 1895-P Morgan dollars. For some reason, the possible existence of 1964-D Peace dollars has never excited me.

1964-D are cool but it has sort of been beat to death and it sort of takes away from the awesomeness of the coin.

Don't get me wrong. If I were to find a real 1964-D Peace I would be beyond excited.

When you say "bags" I assume you mean the log fabled 1895-P business strikes? That would be awesome and plenty of big time dealers have been fooled in the past with that. I remember reading a thread or article a few years ago that was a nice snapshot of old auction records and news paper clippings of people claiming to finally of found a 1895-P business strike all the way back to like the 1930s.

I don't think I'd want to find a 1975 aluminum cent; I believe these and the '74's are illegal to own since the mint never released these for circulation and would be considered government property. You might find a few G men at your door after sharing your excitement publicly. Eeeks!

Oh, ditto for the '64-D Peace dollars...

1895 silver dollars were struck in late June 1895 and appear, just as do other coins, on the various reports. Assay Commission records also confirm production as do seigniorage documents.

When the Philadelphia Mint moved silver dollars into the new building in 1899, all of the coins were in numbered boxes (some in bags and others packed in the boxes). I have the complete transfer report and original and final locations of every box.

No "rarity" number can be assigned to a coin that does not exist. Depending on your scale either #1 or the highest number is equal to "unique."

<<< When you say "bags" I assume you mean the log fabled 1895-P business strikes? That would be awesome and plenty of big time dealers have been fooled in the past with that. I remember reading a thread or article a few years ago that was a nice snapshot of old auction records and news paper clippings of people claiming to finally of found a 1895-P business strike all the way back to like the 1930s. >>>

I believe most of the so-called 1895-P business strikes that have surfaced over the years were simply circulated S or O mint coins with the mintmark removed.

IIRC, I remember reading that one circulated 1895-P was actually certified by either ANACS or someone else a long time ago, but I think even that piece was considered highly questionable at best.

All 1895-P dollars examined to date have been either abused proofs or fake. Circulation examples were part of the Annual Assay Commission coins, but were evidently not saved by any of the Commission members.

If we can learn the original vault where the coins were stored in June 1895, then they could be traced to a vault in the new Mint. From there, vault records would show removal of coins from that vault for Pittman and other destructive purposes. Naturally, these vault records have not been located -- and might not exist.