• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something for Kennedy half dollar collectors

11 posts in this topic

In today's government "sloth" it would have taken them a year to coordinate such at thing (if at all)? It was, what, TWO WEEKS after the assassination when this was discussed. Amazing...

jom

Under similar tragic circumstances, the response would likely be comparable.

Very interesting. I had never seen that transcript, nor had I ever heard that it was suggested to put Kennedy on a dollar coin.

Fifty million of those as a one time commemorative sold at face value would have immediately disappeared, but it might have saved the half dollar as a circulating denomination.

And the letter is interesting that it confirms that half dollars were in circulation, contrary to what some people say, or else why would they worry that a Washington half might get confused with a Washington quarter.

TD

Thanks for that original document, I'm not sure what tolerance there would be for presidential secretaries and typos these days.... One year of the 90% silver JFK business strike issue? Then all 40% through the 60s.... In some ways it was regretable how Franklin was taken off the apropos half dollar considering his greatness as an American in many ways.

Other memoranda state that a group of silver producing state Senators wanted the silver dollar. They later put their efforts behind reviving the Peace Dollar using Kennedy's approval of 11/21/1963 which authorized 45 million silver dollars. (See Guide Book of Peace Dollars for details and names of the senators.)

The potential confusion was in having two coins with the same basic portrait in circulation at the same time - since no one was going to sacrifice Washington's image. That does not mean that halves were a significant part of circulating coinage.

I don't suppose it ever occurred to them to use a DIFFERENT portrait of Washington on the proposed Washington half dollar? Think of the 1982 Washington half as a circulating coin.