• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Braddick question? What's a 1953D Washington Carver in AG03 worth?

11 posts in this topic

Although not complicated, that is a complex question.

I'd say the answer depends on many, many factors, not the least of which is, are you selling it?

Truth,

I can't comment on value (except to say that I personally have paid "strong money" for well circulated commems), but do have a question!

How strong is the mint mark? I'm curious because I have a 1951 PCGS FR02 Washington-Carver. I agonized for days before submitting it, because under magnification, there seemed to be the ghost of an "S" mintmark. I couldn't decide if it really was a 1951-s, or my eyes were playing tricks on me. I ended up submitting it as a 1951.

In any case, I'm curious to know if the S mint mark on your coin is nearly worn off. I have a Pan-Pac 50c with a worn off mint mark, but this of course can be slabbed.

It's a "D" mintmark and the mintmark is quite clear, but appears filled. The obverse has detail, but from 12 o'clock is 6 o'clock, the rim has worn well into the legend. Same for the reverse.

TRUTH

Hi Greg -

For the past year or so, I've been preoccupied with our move back to the U.S. After twelve years in Tokyo, we moved to rural Oregon last fall.

I've been dabbling with my collection, but am looking for some new directions.

(perhaps a circulated Barber set like TomB)

" we moved to rural Oregon last fall."

Wow, now that's a significant change of life. Where abouts in Oregon? Do you like the change? Try collecting commems, they are really cool.

TRUTH

Try collecting commems, they are really cool.

Umm, I think he's done that.. and if he wants to sell that cool toned GWC from TomB he's got my number. hi.gif

We moved to Willamette Valley wine country, about 40 miles SW of Portland. I could write forever on our thoughts on coming back to the US, so should leave this to the open forum! It is a wonderful country, and on balance, I think there are a lot of positive changes in the twelve years we were away. Education, here in Oregon, however, is a big problem.

Regarding commems, I have a white set, a toned set, and a circulated set, all works in progress. The TomB GWC that Greg referred to is nice, but none compare to my Margulis-Braddick specimen. (1893 Columbian in P01) This is a real work of art!