• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes the beauty of a coin is difficult to capture...

12 posts in this topic

For instance, I recently added a new coin to my Buffalo nickel set. It’s an NGC * coin, but I have been reluctant to post about it because I have been unable to get images of the coin that show it as it is seen when viewing the coin in person. frown.gif

After spending a couple of days trying to get a decent image of the coin, I came to the conclusion that the following scans are the best I will be able to do. Although the coin is much prettier in hand, I decided that if I wanted to share the coin with my friends here who will not be able to see the coin in person, I’d have to go with what I’ve got. confused-smiley-013.gif

In my opinion, the coin I added is a great example of a 1936 ‘P’ mint Buffalo nickel. Its strike is very sharp, the luster is outstanding, and the entire coin is mark free to the naked eye. In fact, even when viewed under a 7X loupe, only a couple of very tiny ticks are revealed.

The delicately toned surfaces of the coin only add to its already ample eye appeal. Bright yellow forms a complete ring around the rims on both sides of the coin, while the centers are sky blue with peach highlights. The toning is somewhat subtle in nature, its intensity increases or decreases depending upon how the light is hitting the coin. This gives the surfaces a liquid like appearance that is quite pleasing. cloud9.gif

This same subtlety of the toning however is what keeps me from being able to get images that reflect its true beauty. foreheadslap.gif Here are my scans of the coin.

775645-1936buffaloobv.jpg775647-1936buffalorev.jpg

As of 4/6/05 this coin is one of only two 1936 Buffalo nickels that have been graded MS-67* by NGC, with no other example graded higher.

John

John, I think your scan did an adequate job of showing an extremely nice Buff! The yellows and pastel blues/oranges are hinted at on the reverse and one can only imagine how nice it is in hand! I've run into the same problem trying to capture luster and color in one shot with my digi camera so I know how frustrating it can be.

Is there any way you can increase the size of your scans tho? Would really like to see it at least twice the size posted. thumbsup2.gif It deserves to be BIG!!!

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments about the coin. Yeah, I can make the scans bigger, but the image size increases also and then I can’t upload the images to the board due to the image size restrictions.

I played with the scanner software a bunch of times in the past trying to get a larger, detailed image without running into the image size restrictions, but I haven’t been able to figure out how to do it so far.

John

I can get the feeling of the coin from the scans, but I am certain I am not getting the full effect. Yours is a common dilema, at least as far as my experience, in that I have had some very nice coins, perhaps not as seriously nice as yours, and I have been hesitant to post them on the board because of my poor scans. I guess you could call it "image envy". 893whatthe.gif

Your coin looks terrific and, coupled with the NGC nod of a star designation, I can only imagine that the luster is flowing, the marks are trivial at most and the color is a superb blend of springtime pastels.

Why don't you come up to CT for an afternoon with DaveG and we can have a coin show at my house? smile.gif

Speaking of deserving a star, what’s the story with the San Diego you’re using for your icon? It looks great! Do you own it?

John

Fabulous coin John! cool.gif I'll bet in person it's a true stunner.

One way to get a photo on this site that's small enough to post is to import the image into Microsoft Paint. Resize it (from whatever) to around 500 pixels width. Use the automatic scaling function to maintain the accurate dimensionality. Save and whala! It should be plenty small enough to post here. In fact, each individual pic should be small enough to place side-by-side or top-to-bottom and save as a compound image, still less than 150 kilobytes. Try it with your current image and just give it a different name to preserve the original.

Hoot

Yours is a common dilema, at least as far as my experience, in that I have had some very nice coins, perhaps not as seriously nice as yours, and I have been hesitant to post them on the board because of my poor scans.

Hey Tom,

Who are you trying to kid? I've seen quite a few of your coins and they are as seriously nice as anyone's. hail.gif

I'd love a coin summit with you and Dave in CT, but I'm working Saturdays for the next two months. If you guys can do a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Sunday let me know. smile.gif

John

Thanks for the tip Hoot! I’ll try it out tomorrow. thumbsup2.gif I was thinking of you from the moment I seen this coin in hand. I keep thinking of your ‘36d buff and the subtle, yet beautiful toning it has. You know, I would bet that when it comes to star coins the vast majority of people think of the type of coin with extremely vibrant ‘in your face’ toning.

Without a doubt such coins are certainly beautiful, but I think that depending upon the coin, one with subtle toning, or even a white coin that has been given the star can be as exquisite as any of the vibrantly toned coins, after all these coins garnered the star without the benefit of vibrant toning.

For example, I own a snow white FORT VANCOUVER commem that looks like it was minted yesterday. It is graded MS-66* by NGC. There is not a speck of toning on the entire coin, yet it is the best looking Vancouver I have ever personally seen, toned or untoned. The luster just explodes off the surfaces of the coin, and it looks like it has a chrome finish!

Everyone I have shown this coin to has commented on how nice it is, even those who normally don’t care for white coins, yet if you look at my images of it, some may wonder why it got the star. I guess my point is that one can never really judge how nice a coin is from an image, especially a star coin.

John

I hope that works for you, John. I'll look forward to the pics!

You are 100% right about heavily toned, vs. lightly toned, vs. untoned * designated coins. I have only seen a few * designated pieces that made me wonder why, but the one or two untoned pieces I've seen were unreal. Stunning white surfaces that screamed originality and careful handling over the years.

John, I can't wait to see your incredible collection one day - second to none.

Hoot