• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Way To Protect Yourself On Ebay Even When A Coin HAS A Return Policy

13 posts in this topic

Similar to many of you, I will not bid on a coin on ebay unless the seller has a written return policy that allows a return, makes sense and is clear. A few months ago I had been the high bidder on an 1814/3 CBH that was described as a VF coin. The images were terrific, crisp and clear and they also provided a close up of the overdate itself. I felt confident in bidding on the coin.

The coin arrived in the mail and I was stunned to see several gouges on the obverse that I knew weren't there in the auction listing! My initial reaction was that I was sent the wrong coin. I pulled up my saved auction images and noticed that not only was it the right coin, but that the gouges had been erased with image manipulation software prior to the listing! 893naughty-thumb.gif

I emailed the seller and told him that the coin was being returned the next day. The seller surprised me and wrote that he wouldn't accept a return unless the coin was misrepresented. Well, of course the coin was misrepresented, I had saved the images. However, it is possible to argue that I had manipulated the images prior to the delivery of the coin, hence, I could not prove the coin was misrepresented based upon the naked images alone.

What the seller did not realize was that I saved the entire web page, including the embedded images, prior to the close of the auction. At the close of the auction the seller took down his images and left a blank space in his listing. I politely informed the seller that I had the raw images with file dates that were before I had the coin in-hand, that I saved the web page with the embedded images that matched these raw images and then I carefully went through the coin and listed where it deviated from the auction.

I received an email back asking for the coin and they shipped me out a check the next day, which included postage. The check has been cashed and it was a good check. I will cut the seller some slack and assume this was a one-time mixup in listings. Here is the obverse image from the seller paired with a scan from me. My scan is on the left and the seller's image on the right.

774591-Copyofnew-8a.jpg

You will note that there are two enormous gouges, one in front of Ms Liberty's eyeball and the other on her breast near the drapery line that are obvious in my scan but are absent in the seller's image. Also, the chasm in the field near star two is but a mere scratch in the seller's image. The digs above the date have also been softened in the seller's image. The reverse was similar in its comparison.

So, please, don't just look for a return privilege; make certain you keep the web page as a file before the auction ends and any images can be taken down. This may help you with a difficult return. thumbsup2.gif

774591-Copyofnew-8a.jpg.49a7dc6d089074bf7008d95b4d69756b.jpg

I will cut the seller some slack and assume this was a one-time mixup in listings.

Mix-up? You're too kind. He's screwing people by altering the images.

I agree with Greg. Manipulating photos isn't a "mixup". And then he initially balked at your wanting to exercise the return privilege he offered?

I can't see this as anything else but a failed scam.

TomB

would you mind posting a link to this listing?

I for one would like to add him or her to my list of dirtbags not to be dealt with.

Tom, you've given all of us some good advice. I agree with everyone, too! Please post the seller's name so I can avoid him.

Chris

This sort of behavior is despicable. For honest sellers who are careful to present coins with any and all faults clearly visible, these greedy image manipulators really tilt the playing field. I'm glad you backed yourself up on this one!

James

Way to back yourself up, Tom. In the past, I've always kept track of the auction until I had the coin, but as you say, the image could be yanked from the page.

Hoot

How do some of these people sleep at night ? Yours looks like a attempt at "Power Screwing" at its best. Atleast you received satisfation from your "Power Screwer". My "Power Screwer" just blew it off. The picture was not manipulated but the description and grade certainly were.

Here is his "Gem" MS64 coin that was guaranteed to grade at one of the major grading services.

776020-25JUNK.jpg.30711bb2205f8b4ae9dec4e108116cd1.jpg

Tom,

Excellent that you would help us all out. I can only say "ditto" to all of the guys above. Please let us know who he is as I might want to buy another Bust half sometime. Finding the Boards sure has given me a wealth of information. I would like to thank you all. Bob [supertooth].