• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1939 Mercury Dime DDO

14 posts in this topic

Here are some update images

https://collectivecoin.com/david41279/MNRaF3jZjthquUXX4fe2/21Gks72UyO0RGnQsKJ4U

Here is what i see...

1. notching at the 1 in 1939 and the last 9. plus doubling in the other part of date.

2. The R in liberty looks doubled.

3. TRUS in trust looks wider and the T has some doubling line in it

A friend of mine sent me this..... but I dont think i see my coin matching any of these

Here is a link that has all 4 varieties and pictures to match up.

http://www.varietyvista.com/06%20Mercury%20Dime/DDOs%201939.htm

I sent this coin to NGC for crossover from PCGS and variety review. I did not add minimum grade to crossover. I thought since I did not put a minimum cross over grade, I would have received this coin in a NGC holder with whatever grade they deemed appropriate. I received the coin back as I sent it in.

Do you think they reviewed for variety? I submitted as FS-101 (DDO).

Your date pictures look like typical machine doubling. When looking at ddo's you should not send a coin to NGC that does no match any of the varieties that NGC list in their "variety plus". NGC does not create new varieties. They only certify known varieties that they have listed. Unfortunately if they reject something they do not give any explanation, they just return it.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Both statements regarding NGC policy are incorrect.

NGC does create VP numbers for new varieties that merit recognition and will add them to the VarietyPlus webpages. For example, I've forwarded photos of several previously unknown Shield Nickel varieties to Howard Spindel for his database after including them in the VP page for this series.

Also, NGC does not leave the customer hanging with respect to a submission's status. Coins submitted for VarietyPlus Service that do not receive varieties are returned with a sleeve over the holder to which is affixed a printed label describing the reason for declining a variety. These reasons are standardized and selected from a pull down menu, but they do provide enough information to satisfy most submitters. The only reason that may be uncertain is "Not an NGC eligible variety," and this means simply that the variety is too minor to distinguish with consistency or to bring any premium among variety collectors.

My first statement was general advice. Don't send in coins that are not in the variety plus listing. Most people are not in the position to know what a new ddo would look like. As to my second statement, you are correct in that most of the time you get a plastic sleeve with a generic statement. I have sent in several varieties and marked the correct box and even stated what variety i think it is. Only to get the coin back graded with no mention at all about the variety. I called NGC and returned the coins and got the variety label. Very irritating to have to pay for additional postage and insurance.....

thank you for this reply. my original submission was on form 2689404 but it was moved to a separate form of 4354703. The coin in the PCGS holder was returned in the same PCGS holder with no comment except evaluated/no crossover/no ncs. on the new form generated, there is no mention whether it was evaluated for variety as i had on the first form i created. I was also unsure why it would not have been returned in a NGC cases as I was expecting since I did not specify a minimum grade

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I looked into your submission and found that NGC didn't want to charge for the variety attribution knowing that the coin wasn't going to cross. That's why there's no indication of its variety status.

So, I sent this coin in to NGC (for the Second time).  This time it was attributed as DDO....  Coin is in transit to me but everyone LOOK!!!!!!

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2710250-001/

I think this is the highest grade of this coin so far.  does anyone know how to determine value on a coin like this?

Congratulations on the designation- looks like there has been 4 graded in MS67 ATS, and 1 here that is higher in MS68.  According to the price guide value at PCGS- they list this variety for $1,050.  I don't think NGC has this variety listed in price guide; I couldn't find anything.    

14 hours ago, Davids5104 said:

So, I sent this coin in to NGC (for the Second time).  This time it was attributed as DDO....  Coin is in transit to me but everyone LOOK!!!!!!

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2710250-001/

I think this is the highest grade of this coin so far.  does anyone know how to determine value on a coin like this?

:whatthe:lol Set up and kaboom.  Good job.:acclaim:

51 minutes ago, PocketArt said:

Congratulations on the designation- looks like there has been 4 graded in MS67 ATS, and 1 here that is higher in MS68.  According to the price guide value at PCGS- they list this variety for $1,050.  I don't think NGC has this variety listed in price guide; I couldn't find anything.    

I have not gotten a chance to look hard for others.  are there any auctions of these?  I checked NGC but i think i am Population 1 which makes it hard to find. 

I checked some auction listings earlier this morning, and didn't see any listed for your variety.  As far as the population; I think one was added since you checked- one higher at MS68.

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/mercury-dimes-1916-1945/31/varieties/15016/?vc=819750