• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Day of Issue presidential dollars 2007-2010

6 posts in this topic

During this period 2007-2010 for the presidential dollars there were SMS issued in mint sets and regular strikes (business strikes) issued in bags. I have seen NGC coins marked as SMS and without it. Pretty straight forward as to which is which. I also am assuming the the Annual dollar sets is also "SMS". However I see PCGS coins marked as "First Day of Issue" without the SMS or SP designation. Are these "SMS" coins or not?

I am also going to ask this under the registry to see how NGC treats them for the registry...

Not they were not. The Mint produced first day covers for the Presidental dollar and those just contained a regular business strike from the first day of production. Of course there is always the chance the TPG's will come up with some special name for them. "First day of issue" is already kind of a special name. You have to submit them still in the first day cover because other than that there is no way to tell they are anything "special".

Thanks for your response. I did not want to buy one and then be told it would not go in the slot.

Here is the canned NGC response to the exact same question:

If you have an NGC or PCGS presidential dollar and are unsure where it may fit in the NGC Registry, please send us an email with the certification number to registry@ngccoin.com. We are happy to tell you where your coin(s) are eligible.

They were also issued in rolls. Three weeks prior to the official release of the GW I picked up 4 rolls outta some guys trunk...overnighted to pcgs and had them back pretty quick...bulk graded...

Yeah I forgot about the rolls they sold at the first day of issue events. As for the GW dollars the banks received those a few weeks before they were to be released in boxes marked "Do not distribute until....." but some banks released them early. Happened with some of the state quarters as well. I bought a roll of the NC a week before their release date.