• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1914 and 1928 $2 1/2 Indians/Grade revealed

17 posts in this topic

Probably the hardest US gold series to grade.

I'd guess the 14 is a 58, although it looks as good as some of the 63s recently sold

I'd guess the 28 is a 62,

I'd guess 64/65, hairlines may stand out more than reality, which are common on the reverses, which some mistake for cleaning.

There are no hairlines :grin:

Some of you know the story behind this coin , I bought it raw on EBAY from Saratoga Springs coins back in 2008 for $450 . PCGS gave is the MS 64 and CAC subsequently gave it the green bean.

163149.jpg.62c334fe93bd21597b5be3865ec50e05.jpg

Wow...I did pretty well on those GWGs...surprising! Great photos I think....which is another surprise given they are "true" views.

BTW, Mark, how did you pull that off with the 1913? Nice one...the sellers couldn't have thought the coin was an AU...could they? hm

jom

Wow...I did pretty well on those GWGs...surprising! Great photos I think....which is another surprise given they are "true" views.

BTW, Mark, how did you pull that off with the 1913? Nice one...the sellers couldn't have thought the coin was an AU...could they? hm

jom

Back then Saratoga Springs would only sell raw gold Indians. It was a very slow auction during the summer of 2008. Basically I just got plain lucky. The photo of the coin looked great but then so did most of their pictures. Long story short when I got the coin in I knew it was good. I did purchase other coins from them , one was graded Au 55 the other MS 62 . Most of their raw coins were in the AU 58 – MS 62 range.

They were one of the few ebay sellers where buying raw was not a big risk. I did let them know the coin I purchased for $480 price graded MS 64 , he was very happy for me !