• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCAM vs Ultra CAM

9 posts in this topic

Is there any difference between the DCAM and Ultra Cam designations of PCGS and NGC coins? Is one tougher than the other?

One other question. Which do you think I should purchase.

A 1956 10 cent dime-PCGS PR68 CAM

or 1956 10 cent dime-PCGS PR66 Ultra CAM

They both are 75 dollars. THANKS for your advice!

They are both the same thing.However I have heard that PCGS is a little tougher on the DCAM designation than NGC.

Also you should purchase wichever coin appeals to you.If they both have the same eye appeal then I would go with the DCAM.

Is there any difference between the DCAM and Ultra Cam designations of PCGS and NGC coins? Is one tougher than the other?

They are used to note the same thing. DCAM (PCGS), UCAM (NGC), HVY CAM (ANACS) are basically all the same designation.

As for PCGS being tougher on the designation than NGC, in the past this was slightly true. However, I think they are now on the same level and the level of complaints that NGC has tightened up on this designation recently seems to be increasing.

From my own limited personal experience, I recently got an SMS coin back with just the CAM designation. It is a twin to the UCAM I had graded maybe a year earlier. Also had a couple solid CAMs not get any designation at all. frown.gif I'd say they have tightened up recently.

One other question. Which do you think I should purchase.

A 1956 10 cent dime-PCGS PR68 CAM

or 1956 10 cent dime-PCGS PR66 Ultra CAM

They both are 75 dollars. THANKS for your advice!

Whichever you like better. confused-smiley-013.gif Personally, I like the look of a heavy cameo more than a higher grade. You're not likely to be able to tell the difference between a PF66 & PF68 without looking really closely at the coin. I'd rather have the obvious difference and go for the heavier cameo. I also think the heavier cameo is more likely to hold its value.

They are almost the same. From what I understand, PCGS favors field quality and NGC favors device frostiness.

hi there welocme to the boards laugh.gif

as for pre 1915 proof coins silver

copper

copper nickel

in the past and currently ngc is more strick with the ultra cameo designation compaired to the pcgs deep cameo designation

but on a coin by coin basis there are some ultra/deep cameo coins that are all there and some that are stellar deep/ultra cameos and others that are only cameo in deep/ultra cameo holders

also i think that the coin you posted on here the pcgs ultra cameo coin this i do not understand frustrated.gif only ngc uses ultra cameo pcgs uses deep cameo

so is this ultra cameo coin an ngc coin? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif or do you mean deep cameo which is a pcgs coin 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the above is based on my experiences and/or opinions as such others might beg to differ

I have noted little if any difference between NGC and PCGS, but ICG is significantly easier on both CAM and DCAM, at least in my limited experience. On the other hand, I've found ANACS to be very conservative in handing out the "heavy cameo" designation.

As for which coin to buy in your second question, I would buy the DCAM.

James

I, but ICG is significantly easier on both CAM and DCAM, at least in my limited experience.

I will second that thumbsup2.gif

They are definetly easier with the cam Dcam it seems.This creates problems for them just like the whole MS70-PR70 thing.

Here are some dime numbers for dates 1946 to 1964.

Pcgs

Cam......Dcam....32%

Ngc

Cam......Ucam

228........92........28%

It appears that Pcgs has a few more, percentagewise, in Teletrade than Ngc.

So I believe the lower percentage indicates how seldom an Ultra cam sells on Teletrade verses a Dcam.

Leo