• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaned?

14 posts in this topic

This Standing Liberty has some obvious problems. There are the marks on her legs on the obverse and on a wing on the reverse and possible PVC contamination. Is possible cleaning another problem that it has?

I have the coin in hand and suspect that her mid-section has been carefully cleaned. There is no sign of hairlines and it seems to cartwheel alright, but the luster is somewhat duller in this area. Could this be a result of wear, toning or a poor strike?

I paid $330 for the coin.

My images are not the best but they are better than the ones provided by the auction company.

PICT0062-%20Copy_zpsl1orgz5v.jpg

PICT0063%20-%20Copy_zps721nrxz6.jpg

The coin may not be obviously "improperly cleaned" to be pegged as such. A lack of luster at the AU (and even XF) level where it would normally be present could be enough for it to be tagged with the scarlet (or purple) letter. It does seem arbitrary to me, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Though I have known dealers who know how to work over the surfaces so that it would net down but straight grade.

I have had coins eventually straight grade at the other major service some months later even with essentially the same coin. Or you could try one of these holders which in a few years would probably tone it out in time, as others have had luck with: http://www.meghrigsupplies.com/WAYTERAYMONDSTYLEBOARDS.html

The auction company pictures make it look like a different coin entirely. About all you can do is submit it and see what ya got.

Do not do anything to remove it's present skin.

The auction company pictures make it look like a different coin entirely. About all you can do is submit it and see what ya got.

Do not do anything to remove it's present skin.

That is pretty much how it looked in the holder in hand. When I removed it from the holder, I was surprised how much luster there was.