• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Having trouble with NGC holders?

10 posts in this topic

I bought a franklin half from a dealer and the coins has developed black toning spots (carbon spots????????) It is in a NGC holder and the holder has no cracks and is toning! When i bought it was brilliant and now it has UGLY toning. Has anybody had this problem and is there anything i can do about it? Thanks!

It's most likely dip residue. I had a PF Jefferson (ANACS slab) turn from completely brilliant to dark brown/black over a matter of years.

If you send the coin back to NGC under Appearance Review with a note explaining what has happened, NGC will remove the contaminates for you, reslab the coin, all at no charge to you other than S&H. I've used this service a few times and they've done a wonderful job.

Welcome to the boards, W11 !

Take Greg's advice. He's a smart guy.

Once you've navigated the boards, you'll find there are forums for almost everything. If anyone chastises you for asking the right question in the wrong place, just tell them Hayden said it was okay. devil.gif

yay.gifC yay.gifH yay.gifR yay.gifI yay.gifS yay.gif

Howdy and welcome. I have to second what Greg has said about dip residue and sending the coin in for appearance review. I've encountered a number of coins on the bourse that appear to have been bright white upon slabbing but have later turned an unattractive greyish brown color with spotting. I just assume that quite a few people who are blowing the coins out don't care about the long term effects of how they handle them.

i second what greg said

i sent in an ngc morgan for a local collector in a much older fat boy ngc holder two years ago under appearance review and they removed the brown dip residue and neutralized and properly rinsed the coin

at no charge other than postage and it was send along with a coin for grading so it worked out well

That is why I buy coins in old slabs! What ever the coin is going to do it prob. has already done it by the time I purchase the coin!

First off, thanks for all the welcoming! I'm only 14 and have never submitted coins for grading (I have bought them). How exactly and what do you need to do to send the coin back for an appearence review? Thanks so much for your help!!!

W11 , while you're waiting here for someone to reply, you might hop over to "Ask NGC" . Give them the pertinent facts, and ask what you need to do in completing the submission form. The only drawback to this is that it may take a couple of days to get a reply.

Chris