• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC's STAR designation

17 posts in this topic

Just looking for some feedback,input, ideas on the STAR designation.

My question is..

When submitting coins for this designation, what are the

key thing's to look for-

Toned vs. White

Lustre vs. strike

I would imagine all are important but does one overtake another?

Also, I would like to hear any success stories...(denomination, grade,etc.)

Any non success, also

Rob

I do not have a star coin (I haven't submitted my super best stuff to NGC yet) but everything I have seen basically says it's all in the eye. The coin just has to be more than just pleasing. It has to be super-duper good looking when you consider all the attributes. And all those things you mentioned are parts of that super-duper good look.

MS66,

The star designation is all about eye appeal. Toned vs. white etc., really doesn't matter as long as the coin is STUNNING. Without question, an exceptionally BEAUTIFUL coin. Also remember that the star designation isn't about the coins grade, although the star is not awarded to coins under MS63. I have several star coins. Seeing them next to others of the same date and same grade, it is really easy to why they got the star. If I line up ten such coins in a row and cover the grade, I would be able to pick out the star every time. They really ARE that much prettier, at least the one I have are!

Andy laugh.gif

Andy,

Did you submit any of the coin's raw, or did you buy them already holdered.

And the coin's you lined up and picked out,did they have more lustre than the other's?

Rob

MS66,

I submitted one raw, and I bought one already slabbed. Both are Washington Quarters (1939D MS67* and 1944 MS66 * ). The 39D I submitted raw. I am convinced that both are star coins BECAUSE of their luster. The luster verges on supernatural. Here's a pic of the 39D. Although it's a two dimensional pic, you can tell how nice the luster is.

1939D67O.JPG

Andy,

WOW...

I've noticed on certain washington's with lustre,your's in particular, that on and around the date the lustre make's it look proof like...were it has some kind of "neon glow".

Oh, also I'm envious of your 39-D....as they say a picture is worth a thousand...$$$$ laugh.gif Lately I've REALLY learned to appreciate lustrous coins, and your's is no exception.

Thank's

Rob

i like the star designation lots!!!!! now of all the services that ngc offers grading cameo designations

all is an art subjective and the star i am sure is the most subjectuive of all

but for the most part they try to put it on coins that all would agree have ezxceptional eye appeal really neat

it is hard to show it in a scan you need to see the coin sight seen they do a good job at ngc and of course with the star many will be disappointed when they do not get it

such is life

in coins there will always be disagreements but overall the advanced dealers and collectors i consider fair and hionest and really knowledgable i have talked to agree the star coins over 95% are really exceptionally eye appealling coins and all i have seen within my speciality have been real monsters

here is a star coin the first graded and currently omnly graded atar coin the series and again only star is only for eye appeal not for pq high end for the grade it might be high end but the grade has nothing to do with the stsr the coin must have exceptional eye appeal

i could write volumes about the star and if you wanted to call me i could tell you about it the best way is just to see as many sight seen coins are you can

IT IS TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO JUDGE STAR COINS FROM SCANS!!!!!!!!!

hetre is an ngc star coin ms 68 star

121554-small1860.jpg.79144c8d0f1937cda62fababc8108387.jpg

is the star the most subjective of anything ngc assigns

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a human thing ngc is subjectively hard and rightly so that way only the best of the best get the star

will some star coins not get the star i am sure but such is this imperfect life we live in there are no guarantees

will it generate the most controversey YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but thast is good i would rather many coins that some think are stars and i am sure they are get rejected and ngc be picky then just assign it to everything then the star is meaningless

remember we are all human and everything is subjective but they are strick for a reason and if you do not get the star who cares???

enjoy your coins and if they are truely excpetional then star or not they will be reconized by many when you show then or go to sell them

sincerely michael

herre is another star coin ms 68 *

121559-oregon37-d.jpg.fe4e853c1d439ad0004535822a3b36a3.jpg

>Are you planning on submitting any of your coin's for the star designation. If so, keep me (us) informed!

Yes. It's one of those "I shouldn't have sent it in to PCGS afterall" coins. I have two absolutely stunning 55 franklins waiting (36 business days) at PCGS right now. They are brilliant in luster with a blue tone on one side and a reddish tone on the other (from original set). They are breathtaking, probably the most attractive coins I have owned overall. I'm thinking I may cross them to NGC cause I know they'll get the stars.

Aside from those, I don't have any that are sure-fire candidates, though I have a few that may get it.

from your post i tyink you might have a greswt chance for a star with the franklins

sounds like grewt toning!

now i am very interested in how you make out st ngc with these coins

sincerely michael

Michael,

Sorry for not responding to your's and (other post's) sooner, I couldn't get on to the forum for 2 day's...it said it was busy or try again later....anyway..

I just wanted to say,first of all, as always the photo's of your coin's are, to say the least are STUNNING, the 68* seated Lib. half dime look's as it has a "ring' of fire around it.

I understand a lot better from the previous post what a * coin is all about. I think a true test for me as coin collector learning to grade is to submit a potential star coin for submission, and having it come back as such.

I really appreciate you responding to my post,to me, your knowledge and insight are invaluable to my collecting.

One simply question...how long have you been a collector!

Thank's again

Rob

NWCS,

Looking forward to seeing your Franklin's.....

I could kick myself ...I collected franklin's about 2 year's ago but sold them to pursue "other interest".

Thank's for the post.

Rob