• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1999 clad proof toned

2 posts in this topic

in 1999 the mint tried a new burnishing process which resulted in a gold toning on the statehood quarters in the clad proof sets.It was too much acid.The toning,I think is atractive,but can it(or should it be removed? They could'nt replace sets because they didn't have any so instead they gave refunds and ended up desrtoying an unknown number of sets.What do you think?

Typically, improper burnishing would cause a coin to be very dark and not just golden. I am familiar with the coloring you describe. It may be a good idea to have this toning removed through professional conservation if your feel it is unattractive or it has become darker while the coins are in your possession. If it is an acid is the causing the coloring on your coins, it would be a good idea to have the toning removed through professional conservation. This acid will continue to harm the surfaces of your coins eventually to the point of damaging them permanently. Typically, toning such as you describe, it relatively stable and will not harm the surfaces of your coins. If you have noticed the coins becoming darker while they have been in your possession, it is a good idea to have the coins professionally conserved before they become damaged. I would also recommend having your coins encapsulated as original mint packaging is not the best for long-term storage.

Chris, NCS