• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roosevelts from 1955 Mint Set

3 posts in this topic

Here are some Roosevelts from the 1955 Mint Set I got last summer. IMO the D mint and the S mint Roosies for the most part were mehh kind of coins so they are not shown. However I have included the reverses from the two S mints as it appears the mintmarks are different. I am not a variety kind of a person, could someone that knows about varieties please tell me about these? The images are by Bob Campbell and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1955S_rRO3r5_zpsfzb5jwcw.jpgbc1955S_rRO2r5LS_zpsk1g4fwcq.jpg

bc1955_rRO3o2t_zpsynmmw6ng.jpgbc1955_rRO3r5_zps7s9k4uvr.jpg

bc1955_rRO2o4_zps8ekxxf2n.jpgbc1955_rRO2r5t_zps7bbfllqj.jpg

Completely different mint marks on the 2 "S" dimes.

The toning is fairly typical. It's funny how on some coins toning can be spectacular, others it's just so, so.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Those both used the same "S" punch. Only the depth to which it was punched varied, and the deeper impression reveals the supporting shoulders of the letter which should have been polished off of the die. It's quite common, especially during the careless years of the 1950s-60s.