• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1900 Lafayette Commem PCGS FR02

5 posts in this topic

1900 Lafayette FR02 $410 shipped

USPS Money Order, Check or Paypal (you cover the paypal fees). checks must clear prior to shipment. 5 Day return. Buyer is responsible for return shipping.

20160303_090525_resized_zpscoptqwvh.jpg20160303_090555_resized_zpsdljpfpj2.jpg

Not a coin guy, but why is this coin so expensive in such a low grade? I see issues graded 50 or higher for not much more on Ebay.

My guess is that it is driven by the PCGS "Low Ball" Registry Sets. These are sets where folks compete to assemble sets of the lowest graded coins. I don't really understand the concept, but some people are willing to pay premiums for these coins. The PCGS price guide for this coin is $400; at P1 (the lowest grade), it is $450.

Not a coin guy, but why is this coin so expensive in such a low grade? I see issues graded 50 or higher for not much more on Ebay.

My guess is that it is driven by the PCGS "Low Ball" Registry Sets. These are sets where folks compete to assemble sets of the lowest graded coins. I don't really understand the concept, but some people are willing to pay premiums for these coins. The PCGS price guide for this coin is $400; at P1 (the lowest grade), it is $450.

lol - crazy!

lol - crazy!

It is one heck of a challenge to find such coins in a low ball grade that meet the TPG criteria. It is darn right hard, in fact. I have tried in numerous series. It can be enjoyable and stimulating and relaxing at the same time, not having to shoot for the best of the best of the best. It is in some ways more difficult to grade such coins than it is to grade the high end. In some of the series, you just can't find the coins in the low grade TPG criteria at all.