• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1939 Mercury Dime DDO??

18 posts in this topic

Just picked this coin up....PCGS MS67.... Is it DDO. Looks like this variety is known and mine looks the same from best I can tell. I am not great with Double die vs double strike etc

DX61TtfcSZ2aMPT7MJL1_Thu%20May%2012%2018-08-28.jpg[/img]

We do have some experts here that will be able to tell you, yeah or nay.

I'm in the yeah camp, but I've been known to be wrong, on occasions, just ask my wife.

Even if you know you're wrong, ask your wife and accept what she says....;)

I'm confused on the difference between the machine doubling and actual designated DDO on this piece. I looked this Mercury up in CherryPickers Guide, Fifth Edition, Volume II, and I honestly can't tell a difference.

You know much more about the differences physics-fan3.1 than I in regards to actual die doubling versus machine doubling. Was the piece designated correctly in book? What am I missing?

162327.jpg.d029eb02d41188261fc343b824628fdd.jpg

Those two pictures do appear to match.... Maybe this is more complicated than I thought.

I initially said MDD on the OP because there don't appear to be any notched serifs, that is, there doesn't appear to be any clear separation of the images. That is one of the biggest indications of strike doubling.

However, in the cherrypicker picture you posted, there doesn't appear to be much either.

I'll trust that the cherrypicker is accurate - and in hand comparison of the OP's coin may reveal that it is actually a DDO.

I think I'd send it in..... $15 to find out....big deal....it's a lunch out by your self.....I think it is a DD, or at least worth checking

I am getting a NCS submission together. I guess I will add it in and see what happens...there is a spot on the coin that I think NCS can fix and then I can have it evaluated for mint error

RWB brought up to check the IGWT- "In God We Trust" motto on coin to check for doubling. If you verify this I'd think that would be a 99% probability that you'd have an example.

If you look at what I posted previously concerning your Mercury; it confirms what RWB indicates in print below the picture of the 1939 DDO example from CherryPickers.

I think you have a very neat piece- I'd be proud to own it! Thanks for sharing.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's a Variety, not a Mint Error. Be certain to check the correct box on the submission form.