• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lawmakers propose coin to honor Christa McAuliffe, fallen Teacher in Space

12 posts in this topic

There's an article in collectSPACE about a proposed McAuliffe commemorative $1 coin. Here's the link to the article:

LINK

Commemorate the entire crew -- not just one member.

I would agree with you.

I would also note that the Senators are clearly working on "Congressional Time" in that they want the coin to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the explosion... one little detail, the 30th anniversary already occurred... ~ 4 months ago.

There's an article in collectSPACE about a proposed McAuliffe commemorative $1 coin. Here's the link to the article:

LINK

The manner to do this is a separate coin for each of the Astronauts and a separate coin for the 30 year anniversary. A First Teacher in Space coin is a little overbearing, and a dilution of the contribution of all other members of the flight and tragedy. I don't like this idea at all, personally. I don't care for this signalling out at all. It places the value of one team member above the values of all. Either a separate coin for each member and a commemorative of the flight, or one commemorative with all flight members honored for their sacrifice.

After all, everyone of the crew were qualified to teach and inspire by virtue of their expertise.

Maybe a medal instead? I heard medals have a different "clock time" than coins....or Congress.

Treasury and the CCAC have a 5-year planning schedule with limits based on capacity. I doubt Treasury would support changing that unless an approved event were removed.

I consider it yet another dumb idea for a commemorative coin. There are already too many of them with new issues now literally every year. There aren't that many people and events of real significance for it.

Never going to happen.

The event (30th anniversary) was 2016.

The commem programs for 2017 and 2018 are already spoken for.

MAYBE if Congress got off it's you-pick-a-term they might be able to have it in the 2021 program for the 40th anniversary.

I too would prefer a remembrance of the entire crew. And the crew of Apollo 1. And the Columbia. And other training accidents. http://www.airsafe.com/events/space/astrofat.htm

Maybe that could be the next quarters program - start with the Mercury 7 astronaut corps... on up.

The bill's sponsor, Sen. Kelly Ayotte [R-NH], is running for re-election this year.

Her Democratic opposition is the current NH Governor -- who is also a former 3-term Senator.

Point is, if this is a desperate ploy to get the Teacher vote... well, that's just wrong. Very wrong.

Commemorate the entire crew -- not just one member.

I would agree with you.

I would also note that the Senators are clearly working on "Congressional Time" in that they want the coin to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the explosion... one little detail, the 30th anniversary already occurred... ~ 4 months ago.

And the commemorative schedule is full. No more permitted this year by law.

Probably the reason that she is being singled out, more than pandering to teachers, is the fact that she was from New Hampshire, as are both of the bill's sponsors. The rest of the crew was not.

I agree with some of the other comments here. Those who have looked at how incompetent NASA was in giving the go ahead on the launch generally see the crew as total victims not heroes.

And the commemorative schedule is full. No more permitted this year by law.

But they write the laws so they can always write in an exception.