• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DHL outgoing shipment on hold, Heathrow since 21 April !!

24 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I sent some banknotes from London via DHL to be graded by PMG and my shipment is on hold since 21 April !!

I contact DHL almost everyday to inquire about the reason of holding it and they said: 'customs requested the receiver's full contact details/phone number'.

Actually I haven't put PMG landline, however, there is an email on the shipment !! , they asked me to email PMG full contact details to ukmou@dhl.com

The shipment was marked as 'photos' , and I've already requested a return but DHL keep saying 'it has to be released from customs first' !

Anybody a similar case at all ?!

Many thanks

Jay

When shipping internationally even to Canada I always try to include an accurate description and the full value; you know how arbitrary or legalistic they can be in customs....Lots of luck in getting them to push it through. You could contact your political representative who might intervene.

If they open it and find it ISN'T photos you may not get it back. Or there may be some other penalty for falsifying customs documents.

There have been a lot od complaints about counterfeits. Maybe they will break them all out for "testing" to make sure they aren't fakes.

When shipping internationally even to Canada I always try to include an accurate description and the full value; you know how arbitrary or legalistic they can be in customs....Lots of luck in getting them to push it through. You could contact your political representative who might intervene.

Which courier do you use ?

Many friends recommended UPS ?

If they open it and find it ISN'T photos you may not get it back. Or there may be some other penalty for falsifying customs documents.

There have been a lot od complaints about counterfeits. Maybe they will break them all out for "testing" to make sure they aren't fakes.

The problem is none of the express couriers accept to ship banknotes, i tried DHL, UPS, Fedex !!

I've been shipping via Fedex for a long time, always mark shipments as 'photos' , with no problems, only this time :(

UPDATE: DHL has JUST informed me that the requested name by customs is the SENDER'S full name NOT the RECEIVER , what a joke ?????!!!!!!!!!!

3 weeks to discover the main reason of holding a shipment after speaking to more than 20 people on DHL ?!

Will NEVER use DHL , i believe UPS is more reliable !!!!!!

One question Jay...why was it marked 'photos' ???

Welcome to the forum.

Because none of the express shipping companies accept to ship banknotes !! ?

The Customs Regulations state that contents must be accurately described and the value stated. DHL has a very clear Rule that states it is required by Law to follow the Rules of Customs and any package not correctly described by the sender is the liability of the sender and no refunds, blah, blah, blah. Whether you have described contents in the past as photos and did not have a problem is immaterial. I understand that you may have considered it a safe and cheaper alternative, but I would think for the cost difference you would have been better served by a registered certified insured mail alternative. DHL also does not have a restriction on sending banknotes as long as the contents are described correctly and the requisite insurance costs are paid, and offers a similar type registered mail service.

As to the shipping delays/problems you have encountered, the Customs Rules and DHL Rules state that the sender and receiver information must be complete as required by Customs Rules, which includes telephone numbers and correct names and addresses, etc. Email is not an accepted alternative. The second and probably more important issue concerning DHL service is best understood by reading WSJ. They are your friend in this regard. International shipping has been a thorn in DHL, because of trying to implement different technology upgrades that sort of fell on its face, and Mr. Appel was not exactly the smartest guy in the room, and the heirs of the original co-founder have not exactly made a big leap in customer service. DHL is trying to work it out, but who knows. Why not use the Queens Post and pay the Queen her due, and get on with it? Or maybe hand carry yourself on a vacation to the U.S. We have laid aside the insults by England toward us in the 18th Century. You would be welcome, and plane travel is relatively cheap.

I had the same issue just a few weeks ago with the USPS shipping stamps via Registered Mail to Germany. I also learned, after the fact, that the USPS website will not provide tracking information on international Registered Mail. If I (or a buyer) cannot go to the USPS website and see tracking information, the service does not exist as far as I'm concerned.

This was made more frustrating to me because I was the buyer of autographed stamps, determined to be fake, and was shipping back to the seller for a refund. The seller agreed via Ebay email to refund if PSA/DNA determined the auto was fake, but then dragged his feet on the refund. I submitted a claim through PayPal but because they too could not verify the package tracking it was a HUGE hassle. Only a USPS intranet (internal) website was able to provide evidence the package was returned to the seller. I too had to make a dozen calls to PayPal to get this resolved, email scanned documents from the local USPS office, etc. PayPal finally ruled in my favor yesterday and supposedly I will have the money returned to my credit card within a week.

The stamps I returned were held up in German customs for 2 weeks. I accurately identified the contents and their value. In the future I would only use a carrier that showed point by point tracking and of course factor in the fact that customs will delay the process significantly. People apparently mislabel contents and their value to expedite the customs process but I would not take the risk.

Good luck resolving your situation.

Sounds like the workers are sticklers for details, as those who don't always follow the letter of the law can be fired or demoted....I dislike legalistic people like that who don't look at the original purpose of the various laws, the spirit of the law instead of the pointy-headed legalisms. Too bad things have gotten to that point.

Customs regulations are quite strict in most countries. Here's a little light reading from the US Customs folks:

Customs Doc

European countries tend to be tighter and much less forgiving of intentional mislabeling, even if there is no export fee or import duty.

So you have a beef with DHL because when you contacted them, they weren't able to accurately tell you the information that was required.

hm Customs may have a beef with you regarding your customs declaration.

Maybe the two are not related and maybe they are...

I'm popping popcorn as we wait for the next installment...

I tried all Express couriers, all refused to ship banknotes?

One question Jay...why was it marked 'photos' ???

Welcome to the forum.

Because none of the express shipping companies accept to ship banknotes !! ?

The Customs Regulations state that contents must be accurately described and the value stated. DHL has a very clear Rule that states it is required by Law to follow the Rules of Customs and any package not correctly described by the sender is the liability of the sender and no refunds, blah, blah, blah. Whether you have described contents in the past as photos and did not have a problem is immaterial. I understand that you may have considered it a safe and cheaper alternative, but I would think for the cost difference you would have been better served by a registered certified insured mail alternative. DHL also does not have a restriction on sending banknotes as long as the contents are described correctly and the requisite insurance costs are paid, and offers a similar type registered mail service.

As to the shipping delays/problems you have encountered, the Customs Rules and DHL Rules state that the sender and receiver information must be complete as required by Customs Rules, which includes telephone numbers and correct names and addresses, etc. Email is not an accepted alternative. The second and probably more important issue concerning DHL service is best understood by reading WSJ. They are your friend in this regard. International shipping has been a thorn in DHL, because of trying to implement different technology upgrades that sort of fell on its face, and Mr. Appel was not exactly the smartest guy in the room, and the heirs of the original co-founder have not exactly made a big leap in customer service. DHL is trying to work it out, but who knows. Why not use the Queens Post and pay the Queen her due, and get on with it? Or maybe hand carry yourself on a vacation to the U.S. We have laid aside the insults by England toward us in the 18th Century. You would be welcome, and plane travel is relatively cheap.

Thats correct, there is a geading company called PMG, but we are not allowed to ship our notes vua Express shipping for grading !!

The funny thing is that they call our collectable notes 'cash' ?

?

http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/shipping/shipping_advice/prohibited_commodities.html

Sounds like the workers are sticklers for details, as those who don't always follow the letter of the law can be fired or demoted....I dislike legalistic people like that who don't look at the original purpose of the various laws, the spirit of the law instead of the pointy-headed legalisms. Too bad things have gotten to that point.

It's all about knowledge, are our banknotes that much dangerous ? ?

They are not cash, although customs call them cash ?

Customs regulations are quite strict in most countries. Here's a little light reading from the US Customs folks:

Customs Doc

European countries tend to be tighter and much less forgiving of intentional mislabeling, even if there is no export fee or import duty.

What would you do if all Express couriers refused to ship banknotes ?

http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/shipping/shipping_advice/prohibited_commodities.html

I had the same issue just a few weeks ago with the USPS shipping stamps via Registered Mail to Germany. I also learned, after the fact, that the USPS website will not provide tracking information on international Registered Mail. If I (or a buyer) cannot go to the USPS website and see tracking information, the service does not exist as far as I'm concerned.

This was made more frustrating to me because I was the buyer of autographed stamps, determined to be fake, and was shipping back to the seller for a refund. The seller agreed via Ebay email to refund if PSA/DNA determined the auto was fake, but then dragged his feet on the refund. I submitted a claim through PayPal but because they too could not verify the package tracking it was a HUGE hassle. Only a USPS intranet (internal) website was able to provide evidence the package was returned to the seller. I too had to make a dozen calls to PayPal to get this resolved, email scanned documents from the local USPS office, etc. PayPal finally ruled in my favor yesterday and supposedly I will have the money returned to my credit card within a week.

The stamps I returned were held up in German customs for 2 weeks. I accurately identified the contents and their value. In the future I would only use a carrier that showed point by point tracking and of course factor in the fact that customs will delay the process significantly. People apparently mislabel contents and their value to expedite the customs process but I would not take the risk.

Good luck resolving your situation.