• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this standard US Mint processing??

7 posts in this topic

Yesterday i placed my order for the 2016 gold Mercury dime. Got an order received email then a confirmed email. Then later that afternoon the us mint store called me to verify my name address and everything?? My order status is "processing". My debit card was charged for the coin, and when I talked to the us mint store they confirmed all my info and told me my orde was being forwarded to their credit department. I asked why is it going to the credit department I'm not asking for credit and I paid with a debt card. She told me that was standard when placing an order.

Is this standard? This was my first US Mint order?

They want to be sure the debit card is valid and your address is correct. Debits come direct from your bank account and can be a real pain to deal with if there is a discrepancy. Standard business practice for anyone selling high-value, and easily negotiable material.

Your card will not be charged upon until your order is being shipped. I found out the hard way when ASE sets were back ordered couple years ago. Beware !

Chances are even if you used a debit card it will go thru as a credit card charge that ends up in your debit account. The only way one can do an actual debit is to supply a Pin number, like you do at the store. If all you gave them was the card number and the security code it is processed thru visa. If you look at your debit card you will see that it also linked as a charge card, even though it eventually comes out of your bank account.

it is actually better for you to have it processed as a charge. You are not libel for fraudulent charges.

You are libel for fraudulent debits (someone would have to get your pin). I no longer do debits with my debit card at stores, I always hit credit even thought I am using a debit/charge card. If your data gets stolen they will not have your pin and can not get into your bank account.

Your card will not be charged upon until your order is being shipped. I found out the hard way when ASE sets were back ordered couple years ago. Beware !

Why is it "the hard way" when a card is not charged until the order is shipped?

Sure makes it difficult for me since I don't use charge cards - only a debit card.

When I make purchases of any kind I always use a money order. I get them for free and dealers love 'same as cash' way of transaction.

Dealers love money orders -thieves do, too. I found that out "the hard way" several years ago. I won an ebay auction from a seller with perfect feedback on around 200 coin sales of similar value. This was before ebay restricted payments to Paypal only, and the only payment the seller would accept was a money order. I mailed the US Postal Service MOney Order, and the seller disappeared. After three weeks of no response to multiple emails, I found that I was one of more than 25 buyers scammed by the same seller. It seems he had taken great care to build a stellar profile by "selling" items to fake ebay accounts over the course of a year or more, along with a few apparently legitimate sales mixed in. He then listed a large quantity of coins all at once, received a stack of money orders totalling over $30,000 and promptly disappeared. Mine was one of the smaller losses ($300.00) but neither ebay nor the Postal Service were any help.