• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently acquired gold coins... now what?

3 posts in this topic

I just recently received 10 gold U.S. coins that belonged to my grandad. I am completely new to this stuff and I am looking to find out more about them.

To me they seem to be in pretty good condition, but i've read that having them graded is an important step. What about care? Will I benefit from sending them to NGC (seems like the smart thing)? I'm not planning on selling them any time soon but just what to keep them in there current condition.

Here is a list of the coins: 1854 $3, 1881 $10, 1900 $2.5, 1901 (s) $5, 1907 $10, 1909 $2.5, 1910 $10, 1911 $2.5, 1914 $5, and 1917 $1

Thanks in advance

If you upload images, pictures or scans maybe the experts in the can you spare a grade sections could offer opinions on grade and whether they would benefit valuewise in a holder. They always get better protected in certification holders. I don't recall a gold coin in 1917; maybe it was that special issue that the government gave military members after armistice lol.