• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New ebay return policy

14 posts in this topic

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/tips-for-selling-online/effective-ebay-listings/return-policy.html

May 1, it looks like highly rated sellers will have to offer one month returns. This is probably more aimed at the raw coin/currency sellers. Probably sellers will have to keep more money in reserve in case their larger ticket items come back for refunds. Personally I have never wanted to keep material I don't like upon inspection. However irresponsible buyers who play games with sellers remain a significant challenge to operating on a do it yourself sales program like ebay.

Is there anyone else who is concerned by this on ebay?

I don't believe eBay should set seller return policies.

I haven't sold anything recently but when I did, I would not accept returns on graded coins and said so in the listing. If someone doesn't like this practice, then they should bid elsewhere. I never sold "widgets" so the coins I offered weren't usually offered elsewhere in close proximity. When I offer something on eBay, its because I no longer want it. I am not interested in "selling" something and then having it returned again which then requires me to waste my time again.

The scammers will buy a rare coin on eBay, shop it around and then if they can't sell it for a profit, they will return it for a refund. The only downside is they are out shipping costs for the return which can be significant for registered mail. I wonder if this applies to bullion coins like AGE's.

I believe coins are the exception, unless that has changed. The biggest problem with selling raw coins with a return policy is they get the coin and switch it out with one they had that is all beat up. Had it done once stopped selling raws with a return policy. Now only sell slabbed coins with a return policy. Of course I only sell a couple of coins a year, so it really doesn't impact me, because I don't sell no where near enough to be a high rated seller.

"May 1, it looks like highly rated sellers will have to offer one month returns."

I don't want a return of January -- too much snow.

"May 1, it looks like highly rated sellers will have to offer one month returns."

I don't want a return of January -- too much snow.

I'm looking forward to a return of last July.....I'd even settle for August.

Best Summer I remember.....

Paul

The 30 day return policy doesn't apply to coins.

I sure hope so. Otherwise some jerk could return a coin which he could not flip, upgrade, or cross. I wb giving them free inventory for 30 days, I believe sellers of big ticket material would be especially vulnerable to this. I can just c some vest pocket trader stocking up on a number of coins before Long Beach show, then returning what he could not sell at the show. Free inventory for him. I bet some of these guys are licking their chops at this. They could do a number of shows during the 30 day period.

Many may evaluate how much its rally worth to jump thru the hoops for the discount if this 30 day return policy affects coin sellers.

How would a seller with 100+ items change them all to the 30 day return policy?

The exceptions I saw were aimed at bullion, etc.:

Qualifying your listings for Top Rated Plus seal and discounts

To qualify for Top Rated Plus benefits, you need to be a Top Rated seller and your eligible listings need to:

Provide a 14-day (or longer) money-back return policy (30 days starting May 1, 2016)

Provide same- or 1-business-day handling time

Exceptions to the Top Rated Plus requirements for discount eligibility

Listings with a freight shipping service must accept returns, but aren't required to offer same- or 1-business-day handling, to qualify for Top Rated Plus benefits.

Listings in the following categories must offer same- or 1-business-day handling, but don't have to accept returns:

Bullion > Silver

Bullion > Gold

Bullion > Platinum & Palladium

Gift Cards & Coupons

Tickets & Experiences

Business & Industrial

The following aren't eligible for Top Rated Plus benefits:

Listings in the Real Estate and Specialty Services categories.

Listings that offer local pick-up only.

From May 1, 2016, when a minimum returns period of 30 calendar days is required, the following additional exceptions will be included:

Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies > Food & Treats

Pet Supplies > Cat Supplies > Cat Food

Pet Supplies > Dog Supplies > Dog Food

Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Coral & Live Rock

Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Food

Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Live Fish

Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Live Invertebrates

Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Live Plants

Pet Supplies > Small Animal Supplies > Food

Sporting Goods > Fishing > Baits, Lures & Flies > Live Bait

Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living > Plants, Seeds & Bulbs > Plants & Seedlings

Home & Garden > Food & Beverages

Important: For a listing to receive the Top Rated Plus seal, both same business day or 1 business day handling and a 14-day (or longer) return policy with a money back option must be offered (30 day returns required starting May 1, 2016).

Grace period

If you fall below the sales and tracking requirements for Top Rated Seller status, you may qualify for the Top Rated Seller grace period. During the Top Rated Seller grace period you retain your Top Rated Seller status and benefits. You have 2 evaluation cycles to get your transaction count, sales amount, or tracking requirements back to minimum program requirements.

You're eligible for the grace period if you fall below Top Rated Seller standards due to any of the following:

You have fewer than 100 transactions with US buyers over the most recent 12-month period.

You have less than $1,000 in sales with US buyers over the most recent 12-month period.

You've uploaded shipment tracking within your promised handling time for less than 90% (but not less than 85%) of transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months.

You're only eligible for the Top Rated Seller grace period when:

You've been a Top Rated Seller for the last 3 (or more) consecutive months immediately preceding evaluation; and

You meet all of the performance standards of the Top Rated program for defect rate and cases closed without seller resolution.

If you don't meet sales and tracking requirements and performance standards after the grace period ends, you lose your Top Rated Seller status and benefits.

Top Rated Plus best practices

Follow these best practices for your Top Rated Plus listings:

To help ship items quickly and meet your promised handling time, use free carrier pickup for USPS Priority or USPS Priority Mail Express shipments.

Use eBay label printing to automatically upload tracking to eBay. USPS Delivery Confirmation for First Class shipments is free when you print labels on eBay.

Get tips on creating your return policy.

Becoming a Top Rated Seller in Motors vehicles categories

Not all Top Rated requirements and benefits apply to vehicle sales.

Only vehicle transactions with US buyers count toward Top Rated Seller status in Motors vehicle categories. All other transactions—including transactions in eBay Motors Parts & Accessories—are evaluated by the Top Rated Seller program requirements.

To achieve the Top Rated Seller status in the Motors vehicle category, you need to:

Have at least 40 vehicle transactions with US buyers during the most recent 12-month period.

Meet the detailed seller ratings standards: You can't receive a 1-star or a 2-star detailed seller rating on more than 2 transactions or 1% of transactions during the past 12 months.

Maintain a low rate of vehicle transactions that result in a Vehicle Purchase Protection claim filed against you over the last 12 months.

Follow the selling practices policy.

Be registered with eBay for at least 90 days, and make sure your account is in good standing (not past due).

Maintain a high positive Feedback rating and minimum Feedback score.

As a Top Rated Seller in Motors vehicles, you'll receive the following benefits:

The Top Rated seal Get fast shipping and excellent service when you buy from eBay Top-rated sellers in your Motors vehicle listings and on Motors vehicle search results pages

20% discount on successful listing fees, as applicable

Qualifying for Top Rated Seller status on other eBay sites

You can become a Top Rated Seller in the US, UK, and Germany based on your transactions with buyers in those countries. US sellers may receive the Top Rated Seller badge if they meet the criteria for the UK and German Top Rated Seller programs. For example, if you are a US seller selling in the UK, you can qualify for UK Top Rated Seller status based on your UK performance rating, which is based on your transactions with UK buyers.

US sellers who meet Top Rated Seller requirements based on global performance standards receive the Top Rated Seller badge on these eBay sites. For example, if you are a US seller selling in France, you can qualify for these Top Rated Seller benefits based on your global performance rating, which is based on your transactions with buyers in all countries. Learn more about global seller performance standards.

Important: Sellers who live in the US aren't eligible for Top Rated Seller fee discounts offered by other eBay sites, even if they participate in those programs. To qualify for discounts for sales through those sites, a seller must reside in the UK or Germany and be a Top Rated Seller in the UK or Germany program. Also, only sellers who reside in the US or Canada are eligible for the 20% final value fee discount on eBay.com and eBay Motors listings.

Other terms

We may, at our sole discretion, temporarily grant Top Rated Seller status to an account even if it doesn't otherwise meet the requirements at the time of evaluation. This may be to restore Top Rated Seller status lost due to an eBay or PayPal site outage, natural disaster, postal strike, or for any other reason that we may determine.

Most listings that meet the requirements will show the Top Rated Plus seal Get fast shipping and excellent service when you buy from eBay Top-rated sellers within minutes of creating or revising a listing. However, occasionally this may take up to 3 hours to process.