• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVICE ABOUT SAFES posted by Eagles-R-it

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Broke down and got a safe

Well the bank fees for safe deposit boxes have been too much. Got a fire safe. Stack-on is the brand. Got the rechargeable de-humidifyer and light. Question is this. Does the carpet in the safe, dehumidifyer and lights have PVC's or anything like that? I know I should have done better home work on it but my research skills are very minimal. Plus it's too late now. It is bolted to the floor and installed. Just need to get to the bank and empty out the vault. Feedback anyone? Ideas? Shoulda, coulda, woulda's???

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

If your safe has the optional lounge chair and beer cooler, it might not be the best place to store your coins or have target practice.

Does the carpet in the safe, dehumidifyer and lights have PVC's or anything like that?

Carpet fibers are typically nylon or polypropylene. Both are inert. A greater concern would be outgassing from the "latex" in the backing material or from the dyes used in coloring the yarn.

Believe it or not PVC is actually pretty harmless too at least in its rigid form..

Broke down and got a safe

Well the bank fees for safe deposit boxes have been too much. Got a fire safe. Stack-on is the brand. Got the rechargeable de-humidifyer and light. Question is this. Does the carpet in the safe, dehumidifyer and lights have PVC's or anything like that? I know I should have done better home work on it but my research skills are very minimal. Plus it's too late now. It is bolted to the floor and installed. Just need to get to the bank and empty out the vault. Feedback anyone? Ideas? Shoulda, coulda, woulda's???

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

As others have said, there probably isn't any PVC in the carpet. However, if it was PVC or vinyl; for that to affect yours coins, you would have to take them out of their holders and lay them directly on the carpet to have any hope of getting PVC residue.The problem with fire safes is that they often give off moister, due to the fire retardant linings inside the walls. It sounds like this one has a built-in dehumidifier though, so that should be a plus. I would still recommend storing the coins in airtight boxes of some kind, and placing silica gel canisters inside the boxes, creating a closed environment, away from airflow and moister.

Fire safes also have a fundamental problem - they don't have chimneys. This means the smoke stays in the safe when you light a fire, and it burns your eyes as you are trying to examine your coins. Keeping the safe door open will help - a little.

Most people will prefer a fire pit outside of the safe, rather than a fire in the safe.

;)