• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Euro coins issued by various national mints?

2 posts in this topic

I understand that Euro coins of various denominations are issued by the national mints of the nation states that use the euro. But these national mints are therefore issuing currency, a currency under the control of the European Central Bank. Therefore at the end of the day there must be some sort of accounting for the amount of currency issued by these national mints.

Am I right? How do they square the books?

???

I presume a specific answer is available somewhere but I don't believe it works as you imply.

In the US, its my recollection that coinage is recorded in the accounting records of the US Treasury and Federal Reserve Notes on the balance sheets of the 12 district banks. Both are recorded as liabilities. In the eurozone, it is my understanding it does not differ.

The only accounting of the sort you ask about I know in the Eurozone is between the ECB and the national central banks known as Target 2 balances. This reflects capital flows between Eurozone countries and is published periodically though I don't know how often (weekly?).