• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Introducing Coins To My Second Cousins

3 posts in this topic

A good start.

We had a housewarming today, for the house my wife and I bought in January. My cousin David and his wife Angela were there with their two kids.

When the kids looked like they were getting bored, I pulled out the Lincoln coin folders I had gotten them. I wasn't exactly sure how to introduce it, so I asked, "Do you want to see something cool?" They thought it was cool when I pulled out the rolls of cents. lol

We layed down in the floor (something my back cursed me out for later), unrolled the coins and I started going over dates with them, showing them how to find the date in the folder and how to put them in their slot. I wasn't sure how to introduce mint marks, since they are in first grade and kindergarten, so I would look at the coin with them and say, "Do you see that mark?" That coin is from Denver and show them where to put it.

After awhile, they started finding duplicates, so I would ask them which one they thought looked better the one in their hand or the one in the folder. We popped a few out and upgraded them. Kailynn (Kindergarten) got bored with it after about 30 minutes (Not too bad), but David (1st Grade) stayed at it until his parents said it was time to go. We bagged up the coins he had not looked through for him. If he continues and fills this folder, I am going to get him a Wheat folder and take my jug of wheaties over for him to look through.

Who knows, maybe this gives him the bug.

Happy collecting,

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

It most assuredly will work. My grandpa did the exact same thing. I collected with my folders until baseball cards took over and then I lost interest in baseball cards during middle school.

At 20 or so I picked back up with coins.

Make sure to show them some coins like Morgans or Walkers and then give them one for Christmas. :banana: