• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Error Coin

7 posts in this topic

I was looking at my collection and I noticed an NGC certified and Graded coin that I have no idea how much it is worth because when I looked it up on the red or blue book the type of error coin was not even listed. However I am sure it's an error coin because NGC' has labeled it "1864 Large No Motto 2c Medallic Alignment Mint Error AU 58 BN".

Does anyone in the forum know how much a coin like this is worth? You see when I was just playing around with it I decided to look it up through the Heritage Archives and I was really surprised that on January 2007 a similar coin was sold for $8050.00. Now my real question is does that mean that the coin that I have might also be worth as much as the one that sold on Heritage auction?

If it's the same, it might. But prices have changed dramatically in ten years.

You'll get a better valuation from the one sold more recently... http://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1864-2c-two-cent-piece-large-motto-medallic-alignment-au58-brown-ngc-mintage-19-847-500/a/131534-27722.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I'm confused, a large NO MOTTO two cent piece? Is the error on the coin or on the NGC label?

"No Motto" is probably a typo by the OP. Large Motto is the variety, and Medallic Alignment, aka 180 degree rotation, is the Error.